Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick discus!

Just an Egg

Sick discus!

Anyways guys... Same problem I have here... My skinny discus is not improving.... I have try tapeworm tablets... syringed them... still not effect. Can someone help me out here. Is there any other medication I can get to treat them. Just dont want to see them getting skinnier and skinnier and die.... I can see their bones on some of them.... its not a pretty sight.

Cheers

San Merah Discus
    When it gets to the point that they are skin and bones, there is little else you can try.....

I believe I previously adviced the use of metronidazole (Flagyl). Have the fish been treated with that antibiotic? It is a very powerful and useful antibiotic to treat with, but sadly it's usually by vet prescription only (or from a LFS that is well versed with fish medication and have some spare tablets under the counter).

There nothing more I can suggest.... it's obviously not tapeworm. (that's easily treated with over the counter fish meds).

Just an Egg
    Hey kev, do you know any LFS that has Flagyl under the counter? I couldnt find anyone around the area which has it and i dont want to go to vet.

why not go to a vet, it will probably be cheaper than under the counter stuff, and it will be the good stuff...

Just an Egg
    HMM.. cheap? whats the price range? LAst time I went to a vet with a friend to examine his dog. Its cost them $50 just for the examination.

The vet I went to only charged for the tab's as there was no consultation or examination...

it cost approx $20-30 for 21 x 400mg tabs

Just an Egg
    yeeeeeeeeeeehaaa! Cool! Thanks mate! Gonna get it tomorrow. I live right next to the vet!

CHeers

Just an Egg
    Got my metraidazole from the local vet. He knew nothing about fish, but was quite happy to provide me with the medication.

I was charged 20cents a tablet and a $10 dispensing fee. Quite cheap compared to some medications....

Just an Egg
    Oh well.. I went to two local vets today. Not much help! I was told by one, they do not prescribe drugs without consultation and the other wasnt much help either. Didnt know what I was talking about. Does someone know where I can get it! This is frustrating me!