Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeast Based CO2

Hi, I'm New Here!

Yeast Based CO2

Does yeast based CO2 actually work!!
    It seems to me to be a bit of a hoax, and maybe a little to much effort for the effect that it has.
    Is it worth my time to try it out

Free Swimmer
    In answer to your question here are some pics.

You decide !!

This is a mates tank I helped put Co2 on the pictures are taken 15 day's apart. ( one day over 2 weeks )

But remember lighting and fertilizers are also important !!

And also you need to build your waters KH up with a KH buffer as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b4_550.jpg   after.jpg   b4_550.jpg   after.jpg  

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Wowsers, i like. My lighting is alrite, an i'm dosing with dupla tablets and wardleys sprout but i'd never dream of getting results like that.
    Cheers for the heads up, i might give it a go.

Medium Discus
    It works i have used it,IMO anything over a 3ft you will struggle keeping the levels constant.

Free Swimmer
    It works i have used it,IMO anything over a 3ft you will struggle keeping the levels constant.
    The tank in the picture above is running with two 2 liter bottles and is very constant. It is a standard 4ft so it's +/- 220liters.

I will post a pic of my 3*2*2 in it's overgrown state and after a big trim, it's 350 liters +/- and I'm using 3 2liter bottles if I had more light I would increase it to 4 bottles. My KH is 7 and my PH is 7.2 so this tank runs at about 14 ppm of Co2. My other tank runs at a higher level although like I said I need more lights on this tank then I would crank up the Co2 more.

R3dm4n you say "My lighting is alright" please be more specific !! ( what type of lighting and how many ? )
    What are the dimensions of your tank ?

I have put a link to my tank which is on the AusFish forum let me know if it doesn't work !! http://www.ausfishforum.com/forum/al...php?pic_id=975

And how many liters ?
    The more info you give the more assistance we can provide.

Ciao,

Mark

San Merah Discus
    yeast based co2 wont last long right ?

I tried before and it only last for about a week...

But it works just fine, you just have to keep re-filling the bottle with new yeast

Medium Discus
    I was referring to a high light tank 2.5WPG+ you will struggle keeping the DIY CO2 levels up,That's not to say it won't work it's just alot of work keeping the bot's churning out the CO2.

I have in the past run 3 DIY bot's with a lighting level of 2.5WPG and it was hard to keep up,Now i run 3.3 WPG with pressurized CO2 alot easier.
    I keep my CO2 levels around the 40-60PPM of CO2,Try keeping DIY at those levels.

As oscarmanalpha said be a bit more specific about your tank spec's.
    CO2 at any level of light will only improve your plant's 100%.

Free Swimmer
    yeast based co2 wont last long right ?

I tried before and it only last for about a week...

But it works just fine, you just have to keep re-filling the bottle with new yeast

Mine lasts for 5 weeks without any maintenance, not at the same output but long enough to keep the veins in the plants well and truly pumped up.

Ciao,

Mark

I use only Co2 brew systems but i can only get mine to last for a period of maybe 2 weeks

they are a excellent way to get started, cheap and easy and the plants will grow better than you thought plants could grow

you will be amazed

but they are not a even source of Co2, to start with they do produce a big brust of Co2 to begin the cycle, then they reach an optimum level and slowly go down in production from there

they are a fun way to ensure your into planted tanks before you outlay the big bucks for Co2 tanks and pressure kits
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Free Swimmer
    I use only Co2 brew systems but i can only get mine to last for a period of maybe 2 weeks
    You need to put your 2 cups of sugar into the bottle, then dissolve the sugar in really hot water ( just enough hot water to dissolve the sugar do not fill the bottle ) by shaking the bottle up. I have a spare lid without a hole drilled in it for this purpose. Then simply top up with cold water. Do not add yeast if the water is any warmer than room temp. When the water is at room temp add your 1 teaspoon of yeast. Use a baking spoon for accuracy. Then add a 1/2 a teaspoon of bicarb soda this will stop the mix from getting a head on it and also stabilize it. Shake it all up to dissolve it and you will find you get a better longer living mix. Important keep any yeast you have in the fridge after you have opened the satchel or tin of yeast or it will lose it's potency.
    I don't add more yeast to the mix when it's time to replace it as the mix becomes fermented and the alcohol will kill the new yeast added to the same tired old mix. Instead I wash out the bottle just with good old water and then start a fresh mix. And all this I only have to do 12 times a year.
    It sounds like a real chore to do all this but in truth the real chore is trimming your plants which will form a forest. It is possible to by mistake make up a faulty mix which will not perform if so simply chuck it out and start again.

For a very small investment $20-$30 one can buy a permanent Co2 monitor to check the stability of the water. Many brands are available and they all perform the same function.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sera_co2_test.jpg