Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Review: Flow through tank.

I have moved 1/2 the baby discus into this flow through tank and it has been 24 hours since they have been in there.

It is working very well but there is a build up of proteins/foam near the inlet.

I will take regular pictures of both tanks to see if there are any growth improvements compared to the ones getting twice daily %80 water changes.

You will notice that the water in the flow through tank is greener...i feed a lot of organic spirulina in their diet and it seems the sponge filter absorbs the cloudiness more than simply being flushed out, in saying that i noticed it took approximately 2 hours for the tank to become clear again. As apposed to 30 minutes with the tank equipped with sponge filters

Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foam_1.jpg   foam2.jpg   standard_tank.jpg  

Just an Egg
    Hi Ben, it looks great. You may have a better result if you inlude sponge filters in the flow through setup. The sponge’s filters will still nitrify ammonia and nitrite and then the flow through water will eliminate the nitrate. Otherwise you may need to really increase the flow to eliminate ammonia in the tank... You'll be able to feed those guys every 10 minutes!! Cheers, Russel

Thanks Russel for the idea, i will add a sponge filter to the tank. there is already an airstone so adding a sponge will be easy.

cheers
    Ben

Medium Discus
    Hi Ben

Looking good mate.
    If you want to eliminate the foam build up just lower the hose into the water of have it just above it like 5mm to 1cm above water level. That should help.
    You only live once but if you do it right once is all you need.

Oscar

Larvae
    hi ben i have also thought of if u put soapy water in a bowel and blow air in it it cause bubbles, mabe same is what happing to you with the spirulina and the current water flow going in from the height of the inlet from the water. the higher the inlet the more downflow the water will go into the tank adding air cause bubbles and the spirulina would cause the foam. i say put the inlet 2 cm in the water will solve the problem and u shouldnot have a problem cos the water cannot flow back in the drum due to the drum being above the tank see what happens... ben

Thanks oscar and ben for the feedback.
    i added a sponge filter last nite and this has seemed to help clean the tank.

I will put the inlet equal with the water line, this should prevent any foam.

will update next week

cheers
    ben

since adding a sponge filter and lowering the inlet tube there is hardly any foam.

Below are a couple of pictures taken today.
    The discus in the flow through tank has a slightly slower raspatory rate than those in a standard tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flow_through_tank_two.jpg   flow_through_tank_one.jpg  

pictures taken at the same as the top 2.
    (mind the tank they are to recieve there 2nd water change very soon!!!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails standard_tank_one.jpg   standard_tank_two.jpg  

Medium Discus
    If u were gettin that foamy cr@p, could you then add a skimmer to get rid of it??

I mean i didnt think that FW tanks had the surface tension to get a skimmer working properly, but if u are gettin foam, then maybe u can actually remove the protein ??? That would then make even HAPPIER fishies! as is, theyre spoiled rotten! lol
    Benny

Larvae
    benny i dont think a protin skimmer would work, as the skimmer it gets the water that comes from the tank or powered filter etc. bens water is clean fresh from a RO filter and then goes into the tank, clean fresh water wont make foam in the water. as feed the fish spirulina it act like soap cause the foam. the way to get rid if that is the inlet very close or possible little in the tank water. the sponge filter will clean the dirt, left over spirulina in the water to make the tank clean . as what ben is doing now he finds no problems but better for the fish....... ben