Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wrigglers

steps to take to get your planted tank right

hey all just wondering what steps people take in order to have a successful planted tank with a co2 system. Lighting, filtration, chemical balance etc. Thanks

Tiny Fry
    hey pitchblack did u end up using sand substrate?

Wrigglers
    no ive decided to leave the gravel but have been investing in a co2 system instead... nearly there just a few more pieces and its all systems go...

Medium Discus
    Plant's put lot's in.
    CO2 get it up around 30-40+ keep on eye on the fish you don't want to kill them.
    Nitrate-Phosphate 10-1 ratio round about's.
    And aim for min 2WPG.
    That's about it.
    Then you might want to get some trace like flourish and some FE,Just use flourish for the moment alot easier than making your own up,That's down the track.
    And 50%WC every week.

Wrigglers
    well u dont have to 50% each week i only did about 15% a week and got same results as when i was doing 50%

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieStar
    well u dont have to 50% each week i only did about 15% a week and got same results as when i was doing 50%
    You can but if you are using Tom Barr's IE then you need to reset the tank or you could have alsort's of problem's so a 50% WC is needed.

Wrigglers
    so duck what your saying is that my nitrate has to be at 10ppm and the phosphates at 1ppm. Is this right. Whats the difference between the nitrate and nitrite. Im a bit confused. Its the nitrate that you want me to rise yes!!!

Just an Egg
    Nitrite equals bad! Nitrate equals not so bad you use KNO3/potasium nitrate to keep your nitrates at 10ppm if you let them bottom out you wil most probably get BBA. BTW i accidenatlly ran my tank without a filter for a week and it was fine nitrates were like 5-10ppm and everything else 0!!! ineteresting isnt it,
    Matt

Wrigglers
    so if I let the nitrate bottom out to zero ill get bba???? Im experiencing a battle against the alge giants at the moment. Got my hands on some kno3 so the nitrate will be at 10ppm very soon. he he he

Just an Egg
    More than likely yes it's all really a balancing act. First of and the main thing is keep your co2 at 30ppm or your pretty much stuffed. I was having major algae issues before i got into the co2 and really kept it in check. An example my mate had a pH controller and bottle on a little nano plant growout tank he took it off and because the tank was so small co levels were all over and algae everywhere, Im not saying you should buy a pH controller. Here's somelinks as to how to dose http://home.iprimus.com.au/clintbrearley/barr.htm
    follow that and you should be right. The force must not be disturbed
    Matt