Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blue Diamond Discus

Sick Bristlenose

Something is wrong with one of my Bristlenoses.

He is the largest one in the tank and about an hour ago I noticed him upside down in the tank - not normal for him - usually he sees you and hides.

He is just lying upside down with his mouth wide open and breathing heavily. No other Fish in the tank are affected - they are all doing their own thing as usual.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I isolate him in the Hospital tank and put a bit of salt in - or would that just make him sicker?
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

is he near any drift wood or is he in the centre of the tank? because they sometimes lay on their back when they are resting and have been upside down on drift wood that is close to the ground.

sorry to hear bout him margot hope he is ok
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Blue Diamond Discus
    No, he's about 6 inches away from the driftwood.

He's definately sick because he doesn't move at all - if you put your hand in the tank and touch him he wriggles away a bit but doesn't go far. Normally you only have to go near the tank and he hides.

I just don't know what to do - if it was one of my Discus I'd put it in a salted Hosp. Tank, but I don't know if that will help Bristlenose.
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

hmmm.... is he very old? i would definetly separate him so that if he has something he wont spread it to the other fish. next give him a salt dose and pump the temp up to 30 degrees.

i cant really recoment anything else but a picture or 2 would help.

hope he gets better
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Blue Diamond Discus

Sick Bristlenose

Well it is 12.11am. and he is still hanging on - I gave him a salt bath for about an hour - he is still sick though. Have taken a few Photos - one where he is lying upside down, and one where he is right side up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1417a.jpg  

Blue Diamond Discus

Sick Bristlenose

Picture No. 2 - where he is lying upside down - he keeps his mouth open and breathes fast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1415_0001a.jpg  

Blue Diamond Discus
    At the moment he is just sitting on the floor of the Tank in a corner, facing into the corner. The tank is a Community tank and no-one else is sick. Has anyone any ideas?

Medium Discus
    Yikes margot, i have NO idea what it could be (i have no experience with catfish however)

Hope he pulls thru,

Best of luck
    Benny
    Benny

Blue Diamond Discus
    Thanks Benny. I feel real sad as he is pretty big (almost breeding size I would say) and one of the females is starting to get a bit of size about her - I was hoping that they would pair up, but he definately doesn't look well. I'm praying he will pick up, but I've got an awful feeling he won't.

did you raise the temperature?
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy