Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

"rock" question...

Just wondering if I can use any rock for my discus tank or it needs to be some kind of special rock. I guess my question really is - are there rocks that might be poisonous in the tank and release toxic substance?

Just an Egg
    Most rocks will be fine as long as you can can the difference between the sandstones/limestones and such that will buffer your water and the other rocks which are fine. Although talking about rocks holding poisons someone I know just discovered something very interesting about the gravel they were using(it is widely believed this gravle was inert) he found it was slightly porous or whatever it's called and could hold substances inside itself like carbonated, irons and others
    Matt

corrct me if i am wrong but i am sure you should use a sample piece of rock and some vinigar in a small bowl

if they have a slow fiss reaction it means the rock will harden your water and it a better idea to leave it out

can someone confirm this
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Just an Egg
    Yes your right but I think when i tried that the vinegar was too weak of an acid but usually you can tell.
    Matt

Remember that the Amazon is a river, so any rocks in there would be rounded and worn smooth.

Sharp rocks with rough edges are not good in a discus tank. It's too easy for them to sustain severe damage if they take a fright and decide to dash thru the tank.

I personally prefer a nice piece of driftwood.

JMHO
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    I have 3 good pieces of driftwood (relatively large) already. I just wanna have some variety as my tank is bare bottomed. Any other suggestions that I can leave in my bare bottomed discus tank?

Decorative pots filled with gravel and a nice plant added look good in a bare tank, as do plants attached to the driftwood, like java moss, java fern and anubis. Just tie them on with some cotton or fishing line till they become established.

You can still have the planted look, even in a bare bottom tank. :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    You know whats awesome if you can find/afford it?! Petrified wood(sorry about spelling) its fossilised wood or something like that looks stunning,
    Matt

Just an Egg
    I have got some anubias and planning to get some java moss and java fern. Any other plants I can attach to driftwood or rocks?

Crypts will grow on your logs but need a higher light source
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!