Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meth Blue

Meth Blue

Hey,

just wondering, if the tank has meth blue in it, and the parents ate the eggs, do i need to completely drain the tank to get rid of the blue.

Cheers

San Merah Discus
    why did you use meth blue for ??
    meth blue is not good for discus because it will make a pair cannot produce slimes for the fry.
    If you want to get rid of it, do w/c 30% everyday until it clears also add carbon in your filter.

Good Luck

I asked the lsf near me about fungus on eggs. I noticed that eggs were starting to go furry, so the told me to add meth blue.

I'm guessing this was the wrong thing to do. So what can i use to stop fungus?

Thanks

Wrigglers
    The eggs may have died and the parents just ate them for nutritional needs... this happens, IM NO discus expert, but Fish are Fish and the same rule applys!

San Merah Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolculture
    I asked the lsf near me about fungus on eggs. I noticed that eggs were starting to go furry, so the told me to add meth blue.

Thanks
    Meth Blue does treat fungus, but on the other hand it cause harm to the pair,as they reduce the slime production.

Hi Mate,
    The best bet is to do %25+ water chanes once a day and maybe add some activated carbon to your filter is possible but dispose of after 10 days of use.
    It should clear up and go back to normal quite quickly. But dont stress that you have added meth blue to the parents it will slow muscus production but there will be no long term problems.

HTH

Ben

Phew.......
    thanks Ben, I was really worried for a sec. I guess next time ill just let nature take its course and do the things u advised.

Thanks guys

Tiny Fry
    For meth blue to be effective you need to use it pretty much straight after the eggs are layed. What PH are you running at? I find a slightly lower ph will solve the fungus issues without the need for meth blue.

PH is about 6.8............the meth blue just scares me a little

No need to be worried about the Methylene Blue. It's a remedy that has been around for a long time, and has been been used by fishkeepers worldwide to prevent fungus on eggs. It will do no harm to the eggs or the fish, or the baby fry when they hatch.

Unfortunately, in the case of our discus fish, it inhibits the production of the slime coating that the fry feed on during their early weeks. The effects only last for a short time, 48 to 72 hours at the most, by which time the parents have regained their slime coat. I prefer not to use it, because of th effects on the parents, and would rather lower the ph using peat moss if the fungus on the eggs became a problem.

Some discus do mouth their eggs, and keep them free from fungus, and some don't. Try lowering the pH first, as bacteria don't survive well in acid water, and see if that makes a difference to your hatch rate.

Remember that infertile eggs will become white and fungus within a fairly short time. Usually the parents remove these eggs, but sometimes the fungus will spread to healthy eggs too.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend