Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wrigglers

Uninterrupted Power Supply?

Anyone know about UPS for aquariums?
    What cost, where to buy, effectiveness?

I have a 240 litre tank with a 400w external flow heater and a couple of e-heim canisters. Would like to know they will keep on going whilst I am on holidays, even if the power fails at home altogether.

Medium Discus
    I'm no expert but I don't think a UPS can supply power for to long.
    I have one on both our computers and I think they only supply enough power to keep them running for 30min max. Actually one will only keep the computer running for about 15min. The more expensive one will keep the computer running for 30min. There purpose is to give you enough time to shut things down so you don't loose information or damage equipment.

Oscar

Larvae
    I've been told that you could hook them up to a car battery or similar and they can last a lot longer, have been meaning to research it for a while but have not gotten around to it yet.

Lesley

Wrigglers
    I've been doing some homework on this subject. I could put a UPS together with off the shelf items for not too much: automatic charger, deep cycle battery, voltage inverter.

Trouble is even with a huge battery, you don't get much heating time - maybe 10 hours max. with a 300w heater. O.K. if you get a lot of power blackouts in your area, but not if you get a prolonged blackout.

The e-heim pumps are not a problem as they pull about 8w each.

So.....if only there was a low voltage heater?????

Medium Discus
    What you could do is reduce the temp in the tank during the blackout. If you reduce it to say 22c your heater will be on less and therefore you'll get more use from the UPS. You can even change heaters and use a 150w heater during the blackout. 1/2 the watt will give you 20hrs from the UPS. The discus will handle a lower tank temperature as it's only temperory.

Oscar

Just an Egg

power blackout

on sunday
    had 3 hour power blackout have very small generator had airpump going and gas heater but lost half of all wriggles as temp dropped to 26C from 29C.

les
    Sydney west. Just started with discus May 2005.

Just an Egg

power outage to home

Yesterday

I came out to the garage after sleeping all day anly to find my taks power all off.

we had a power surge and only this circuit was off...
    tanks were at 23C

fish all well just very quiet

afetr the power put back on all went well..

checked the water today and all temp and water test great...

fish eating well

les
    Sydney west. Just started with discus May 2005.

you can by a battery power beeper that starts beeping when the power gose off
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Just an Egg
    sorry to dig up an old thread but if you can pick up a medium sized UPS they will be able to power your aquariums for at least an hour.

I have a APC 700 UPS that will run powerheads, lights, heaters and air for 1.5 hours - the batteries are pretty old so not a good as it could be. With these they are normally 24V battery powered so two deep cycle batteries can easily be linked up and the UPS will charge them fine.

The best thing about these are they are a pure sine wave inverter so they give very clean power.

Tom

Blue Diamond Discus
    What about just living Queensland then you won't need a heater LOL
    The lowest it would go down to would be like 28 degrees
    Cheers,

Rick