Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Just an Egg

What is the smallest discus to have spawned?

Hi all,

I bought 2 fishes last month which looked like rose reds. Today they are about 2.5 and 4 inches respectively. Just noticed that they are no longer fighting each other and are now shivering and pecking on the heater. Their
    colours have also darken. They look just like a breeding pair about to spawn but I reckon that they are too young to spawn. I am now curious to find out what is the smallest discus that other hobbyist have spawned? I certainly hope that I did not buy 2 stunted fishes. Looking at the size of the eye in relation to the body it only looks a little larger than I would expect. In the 5 weeks that I have got them, they have grown by about 20 - 30%. Therefore, they can't be severely stunted right? I've been keeping pigeon bloods for the last 2+ years but these 2 new fishes have been behaving totally different from them. Any information on this topic is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Nick

Well it looks like you are about to find out Nick

They could be older than their size would indicate, then again, they may just continue to grow. It definately sounds like they are about to spawn.

The smallest female I have personally seen was a red turk owned by a friend and she was no more than 3 inches, maximum. She spawned twice with her normal sized mate, and all the fry grew into normal sized fish.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    Thank you Merrilyn once again for the information. You have certainly been a blessing to others on this forum with your vast knowledge on the hobby.

Nick

Larvae
    On the weekend I moved some 2.5 inches discus in with some 4 inch, yesterday I noticed a little pidgeon shaking with one of the big male melons tonight she is laying eggs. So I guess I have the same problem as you, my concern is I think once they start mating they seem to stop growing.

Just an Egg
    Hi Kaza,

I did have a pb which still grew despite frequently laying eggs every 4-5 days. IMO Unless its stunted, I reckon it will still grow but not to its full size. Out of curiosity, may i know approximately how many eggs were laid by that small pigeon and if possible how old was it? Thanks

Nick

Medium Discus
    I have read somewhere that its not the laying that will stop the fish from growing its the raising of the fry I could be wrong though thats just what ive read.

Leanne

Larvae
    She laid about 50 eggs and today is guarding them against discus almost three times her size. I brought her at christmas and she is stunted. I dont know how old she is she looked about 10 weeks old but you can never tell.The stunting is certainly not from lack of food or clean water. Its funny I brought maybe 20 new discus at christmas some have grown up to be stunning fish however this pb, two blue diamonds and two red melons have remained small.

kaza have you got a pic?

Medium Discus
    No she doesnt have a camera I will get my but into gear and go round and take some pics for her in the next couple of days.

Leanne

you do that leanne also i wanna c karens pic on the faces to names thread! or there will b throuble
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy