Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

HARD WATER AND BREEDING PAIR

hi there
    i'm a newbie from puerto rico. well, i have a full flower pb pair cleaning everything they can in a 20 gal tank, most the work is doing by the male, female is a little shy. is this normal? are they trying to breed? i suppose yes. so, i don't have an RO system, and my water is hard. there is something could i do until get the RO? what about peat moss? how i used it? a water softener pillow could work? my pH is on 6.4, but the hardness is a problem, now i'm using discus buffer but don't know if i'm doing well.
    please help me, jeje
    regards
    gerald

San Merah Discus
    you can soften the water using peat moss. To use it simply just put them into your filter.

Just an Egg
    how many for a 20 gals tank?

San Merah Discus
    theres no measurement for this. I used a old pair of stocking and put a handful of peat moss into it. Then i put this into my filter. Easy as that. But peat moss will turn you water to brownish a bit. What is your hardness level by the way ??

Just an Egg
    very hard, is near 300. i made changes with distilled water and it lows to moderate, 120-150.

Just an Egg
    about the pH, if is at 6.4. i think peat will lower them. so i not consider it a good idea

Hi Gerald, welcome to the forum. Hard water is a problem for many people. The only safe way to soften the water is to use an RO filter.

I would be waiting to get your unit, before you decide to start breeding, because you are going to need a lot of water for water changes, and it just won't be practical to purchase RO water all the time.

Your hard water will be fine to raise the babies in, once they start growing. But that hard water will prevent the eggs from becoming fertilised. Best to wait till you have everything ready.

We would love to see a picture of your fish, if you can manage to post it.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

San Merah Discus
    ladyred, if you aged the water in a water barrel , will that bring down the hardness as well ??

No it won't affect the hardness. Hardness is caused by minerals and salts dissolved in the water. You can only remove them by filtering through a RO unit.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    this is one of my 2 pairs of full flower PB.
    it would be nice to post the pic of the mated pair (the are bigger and have no pepper with intense red and some blue) but sorry, no camera at this moment. soon!!!!!!
    hey, by the way, what about the water softener pillow of aquarium pharms?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full_flower.jpg