Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP PLEASE

Blue Diamond Discus

HELP PLEASE

One of my Discus is sick and I'm pretty sure that it has Hex. When I went to feed them this morning one (which has always been a runt) had stringy white poop hanging off him. He keeps hiding behind the rocks in the tank.

I have a small tank that used to be my grandaughters (36 litre) so I have decided to set it up as a hospital tank. I washed it out with straight bleach and rinsed it heaps, then filled it 2/3 tank water and 1/3 fresh water.

My question is " I have some Metro tablets, but they are only 200mg. Would one tablet per treatment every 12 hours be enough? Also, what should I do regarding filtration? I have a small corner filter that I can put filter material in - will that do the job - or do I really need to filter the tank seeing as I have to remove 1/3 of the water every 12 hours? Should I just put an Airstone in?"

Any advice would be appreciated as this is my first time I've encountered Hex.
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

Hi margot. Seems everyone is having trouble with hex at the moment.............uggggggh. And it seems to be a particularly resistant strain, so you need to be diligent with the treatment, and not miss a dose.

Just as you were planning, move the little guy into the hospital tank on his own, and you can just put an airstone in there. You will be removing so much water, the ammonia won't have a chance to build up to a level where it could become a problem.

The dose is 250 mg per 40 litres, but that can be safely doubled in highly resistant cases, so don't underdose. I'd still use 1 and a quarter tablets in a tank that size. If you can possibly manage to repeat the dose every 8 hours it becomes more effective.

One important thing. Retreat the full amount of water in the tank each water change, not just the water replaced, so add a full 1 and a quarter tablet after each water change. And equally important, no tank light. Metro is destroyed by light.

Good luck Margot. We're all with you
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Blue Diamond Discus
    thanks heaps. I'll start now and let you know how I go.
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

hope they r alright and good luck
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Blue Diamond Discus
    thanks goldenpigeon. I will keep you all up to date. Going to set my alarm for 4.00am. now so I don't miss a dose.

*thinking of margot at 4am* here's a coffee for you

Medium Discus
    My heart goes out to you, i just got past the same problem (well i bloody hope i did)
    Benny

Blue Diamond Discus
    Hi guys. Well the alarm dragged me out of bed at 4.00am. this morning so I emptied 30% water, topped it up gave the little feller his next dose and covered his tank with a towel, then stumbled back to bed.

12.00 came and I took the towel off and vacuumed 30% out again ( noticed one white yukky poo when I did this so made sure I vacuumed it up), topped water up and redosed him. He doesn't seem to be eating but he looks o.k..

All my Fish have Frozen Bloodworms for tea so I'll see if I can tempt him then.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and support everyone.

Hang in there Margot. More cyber coffee on it's way. :P

Blue Diamond Discus

HELP PLEASE

The saga continues .

Tonight at 8.00pm. should have been my last dose of Metro. Well I lifted the cover off the tank and the first thing I see is a yukky white poo coming from the Discus I have been treating. . He doesn't seem to have been eating and everyday that I siphon the 30% water out I have noticed little bits of white poo - no normal poo at all.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I should do now? Any advice would be appreciated.