Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

What brand Cannister filter for biological filtration?

Its for a 125 which will eventually hold 8 discuss. So I need to also know what size. thank you

You open up a can of worms with this...

A large EHeim would be perfect, but you will be payng for it, whereas I have never had a problem with my Via-Aqua 750.

You could get 2-3 Via-Aqua's for the same price as one EHeim...

I am sure there will be plenty of other suggestions, Fluvals are meant to be ok (havent used one myself) and I have just put into operation a Sacem Marathon 1500 and it is doing a great job...

Larvae
    tex, if they are the new Fluvals, they are great.

I don't know what is available to you, but seriously consider the Filstar XP3. Easy to maintain, and totally customisable media trays.
    >>-))o>
    Skwij
    My fishies

Just an Egg
    Im thinking of the Fluval cause its available and I have 20% off coupon for a lfs. What size? The 404 will work, no? I just need it for biological so what do I put in it?
    no sense makes sense

404 its for up to 400ltrs i believe, if your only after biological filtration stick to bio balls and ceramic noodles. I would be putting a sponge in there at the start because its highly likely that there will be some waste and other dirt etc that will get sucked into the filter and its easier to clean a sponge than the bio balls, without loosing the bacteria.

HTH
    Scott

Just an Egg
    I've always used a fluval with no problems. They are a bit tricky to take apart to clean but I can't say if that's different from an Eheim, as I've never used one. Anyway, I have a husband for just that purpose - making sure seals go back in the right places and removing lids I can't budge

oh talking about seals, the bloody O-Ring on a Ehiem 2213 are the most annoying things man ever made. I think the professional range of Ehiems are alot easier to clean, and i thought the new fluvals were as well, i dont own one but my mates got the 404 and it seems easy enough.

I've used the fluvals and Sacems and like both. On a 125gal i'd go for the fluval 404. To decrease maintenence remove the strainer on the intake pipe and modify so that a sponge can be fitted and cleaned reg. That way you don't need to pull the filter down all the time to clean out the gunk. A hagen quick filter with a fluval 3 sponge should do the trick for the prefilter.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I am currently using fluval and 2 via aqua cannister filters and have found the via aquas to be the equal of the fluval, at a cheaper cost. Meaning more money for fish
    theres a fine line between art and arson

when i was looking at the via aqua the highest lph was only like 1200lph which is aint that good for the highest model. I think the Fluval is 1800lph or maybe 1600lph cant remember.