Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wrigglers

BUGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi guys I left my fish room for 30 min and when i returned I found 1 discus dead.these are the fish i traveled to sydney to get.
    tank is
    ph6.5
    amm 0
    nitrates 0
    kh 40ppm
    gh 50ppm
    this fish was swimming around the tank with no signs of any problems.
    when i got home from work i did 30% water change with aged water.
    these fish have only been picking at there food since ive had them.
    when i got back from the bush i had a ammona spike lost 4 cardinals but did a 50% water change straight away. could this be from that.

thanks cam

Wrigglers
    is there anyone that can help?

Darn - sorry to hear that.

The ammonia spike would have been caused by the added bio load of several large fish in the tank, and the nitrifying bacteria colony not large enough to convert the extra ammonia.

There should have been more of a sign though. It's a most unusual occurance.

How are the other fish faring.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Check your ammonia twice daily, and do water changes as soon as you see any kind of reading.

Wrigglers
    hi LR they all seem to be hudling up in one corner at the momnent ammona spike was caused by a filter failer iam justing hoping they didnt come with someting.iam worried i will lose the lot.

Are there any other symptoms. Like clamped fins, dark colouring, extra mucus on the fish.

You said filter failure. I gather it had been out for longer than a couple of hours. Did you clean it out thoroughly before you turned it back on.

Anything new gone in the tank?

How about any kind of spray in the room, or an adjoining room. It might help to add carbon to your filter now, to take anything toxic out of the water. Throw the carbon away after a couple of days.

Check your temperature for any sign of heater malfunction, and keep us posted on their condition.

Larvae

Another one gone

Hey there LR Cam asked me to do a head count this morning and I found another one gone. Cam is starting to regret getting back into discus which is really heart breaking. Some have clamped fins but some are as per normal. They appear to be breathing at a normal rate also. I sprayed a insect spray about five days ago three rooms away. So it is probably my fault.

Kerry

Wrigglers
    Maybe ........ maybe not!

You sprayed 5 days ago, which seems like quite a while to me.

Could be a combination of factors such as already sick fish, a bit of shock from transporting, further damage from the ammonium spike, low oxygen levels bc of the filter stopping (ie. even further damage), something in the water (- is the aquarium coverred? is the water ageing "tub" coverred?) which might be a bit of insecticide or some other pollutant (- what is Canberra water like these days?), a sudden shift in water parameters post water change, or even a mystery pathogen (ie: a bug of some sort).

I now buy my fish from a dealer that others on this web-site have recommended. Hubby could get some more transported without having to go to Sydney.

Wrigglers
    LR i think ive solved the problem will pm u regarding this matter just waiting on something to confirm this if possiable i would like to speak to you over the phone about it

thanks for your help cameron

Bill T
    i have a small internal filter as well so oxygen level should have been ok it wouldnt have kept up with waste from 8 large fish though. the tank is covered and so is the water ageing tank. the shock of transporting wouldnt of helped. like u i dont think it was from the fly spray? i think i will go trough rod lewis or SLS from now on if i continue? the last two days have been heart renching.

Medium Discus
    we are all interested.....pl post the results....Jim
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other