Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Just an Egg

i bought a breeding tank

I have had 2 fish pair up in my community tank, they spawned 5 times in 2 weeks, but ate the eggs overnight as they turned to wrigglers as the other fish were having a peck too....

I bought a breeding tank (yes completely addicted) a all in one 90 litre AQUA 1. I put a breeding cone in, transferred 80% water and topped up with purified water (have had a seagull 4 water purifyer installed) for the benefit of the fish LOL It is similar to pura tap, but a better quality product as it PURIFIES the water rather than FILTER it. The minerals and trace elements remain in the water but chlorine and impurities are removed.

I added media and a sponge from one of my filters in the main aquarium with the new rinsed media. I cycled the tank for 2 hours and waited until the temperature was up to 30c.

I scooped up the breeding pair, even got them in 1 scoop together, they did graze a bit but I apologised to them.

They settled in a fter a few hours and ate their dinner and seemed very happy. Now i watched and waited in anticipation.

Exactly 48 hours later they spawned YAY, thier biggest batch yet 180 approx, on the cone and front and centre.

That was last night, all eggs look a nice fawn colour and this morning only 2 have turned white.. So I am very pleased with the transfer and the spawn being so far good.

Now I will wait to see if they can get them past wriggler stage.

Ill, keep you posted

poppy

good one,

any pics?

keep and eye on the nitrates if the tank hasn't been cycled properly

all sounds great
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Seagull IV

I've done some reading on the Seagull, It's a lot of money and I'm not sure what to make of it yet. The concept of it is a good one since I would do just about anything to get rid of my RO Holding tanks but the specs on it don't look all that great as far as what it purifies, and with the minerals left in the water, I bet your PH is going to have to be buffered down.

Here's the comparison chart I used.

http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.ne...Comparison.cfm

Just an Egg

pic

heres the family
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails discuscone.jpg   discuscone.jpg   discuscone.jpg  

Just an Egg
    hi insomnia...........

the importer of seagull is a friend and installed it as a present 4 the fish........

so im a lucky one......... and so are they hopefully

and we will see how it works.....

poppy

Hi, I'm New Here!
    That's great, poppy, I hope it all works out for ya, great pics, keep us posted!

Well done Poppy!
    Looks like you have a great pair of breeders!
    Keep us posted on on how they go!

Cheers,
    Ben

Ps, have you started thinking about hatching some brineshrimp?

Just an Egg
    ben

thanks

no i havent looked into BBS, will probably mix food and use mortar and pestle to grind into a paste. Have a few syringes to suck up food and squirt on mum and dad when ready to intoduce other food.

ill keep you posted

poppy

Congratulations Poppy. Sounds like things have started off well.

Newly hatched baby brine shrimp are an important first food for your fry. Dry food can be added to their diet later, but in the early stages, they don't seem to recognise it as food and simply ignore it.

If you can't manage to hatch the live brine shrimp, ask your aquarium shop for some frozen baby brine shrimp. Do stress that you want the baby brine, or they will try to give you adult brine shrimp.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Poppy, any updates of your fries, hope you are successful, tks
    Tiger