Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Medium Discus

Filters for breeding tanks

What sort of filter can someone recommend me for a breeding set up.
    Ive got a 2 foot tank Bout 80l, I thinking about going bare bottom.
    My pair of turqs currently live in a gravel bottom tank, does the change upset the fish

I like to use just a really simple sponge filter in my breeding tanks. With the amount of water changes you should be doing, there will be no chance of ammonia build up. A well cycled sponge filter will do a great job in the breeding tank, and the fry like to pick food off it.

Once the fry are a bit older, I will transfer over a small cannister filter, as well as the sponge. Works a treat.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    Thanks for the advice merrilyn I will use a sponge filter, what about the difference introducing my fish to a non gravel bottom

Yeah, it usually does freak them out for a couple of days, but they get over it. I give them two breeding cones, one in each corner to begin with. Gives them another place to hide. You can remove it once they have selected a cone for their eggs.

If you want to make the transition a bit easier, paint the outside of the bottom of the tank with black paint. Helps to stop the glare.

Medium Discus
    Is it more beneficial to use a bare bottom tank, Its alway concerned me about bacteria, I feel gravel is a good spot for bacteria to grow.

You're right. Gravel is a good place for the bacteria to grow. It's also a bad place for uneaten food to hide, and for tiny fry to get lost in. Bare bottom is so much easier for the parents to locate their fry, and for you to clean.

A mature sponge from a well cycled tank, along with daily water changes, will take care of all the ammonia problems in that tank.

Medium Discus
    If your gonna have a sponge filter going thats where all your good bacteria will be you will find a bb much easier for breeding as you can see the poo etc and siphon it out also I was watching Karens fish the other day with their wrigglers and when they droped off the cone the fish would pick them up and put them back, in a gravel tank they would have no chance of being found they're so tiny. Run your sponge for a while in your main tank to get the bacteria going on it though and you'll also have to up the wc a lot more as I dont think the fry will handle the nitrate problem that you had in your main tank, have you got that under control yet and hows your fish acting now, bit happier

Leanne

Medium Discus
    You beat me to the punch Merrilyn.

Leanne

Wrigglers
    just a tip on sponge filters for breeding,i used to use the kiss bio max sponge filter,take out the small carbon container and fill it with ceramic noodels
    Rossco

Larvae
    Hi Rossco,
    I was looking at getting a couple of these, why do you take the carbon out?

cheers Max