Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Medium Discus

My red melon got the shakes

Ive had my red melon now for 4 months and he was around 3 months when I first got him. Ive had no problems with him antil I bought that brilliant turk off Chris last week which is a female. He shakes non stop at her and sometimes it even looks like he is dancing and I mean all the time even though he is too young and she just ignores him. Will he ever get over his teenage crush as he is being quite agressive with the other 6 juveniles that are in the tank they arent even allowed to come out from one half of the tank. Is there anything I can do my son says maybe I should turn the heater up as he must be cold ha ha Any other sugestions bar that one. I was hoping he might get over it in time.

Leanne

lol love is in the water
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Medium Discus
    Isnt 7 or 8 months to young for love the female looks at him as if hes weird mind you she stays with him and when they do swim they swim together my poor other fish are all jammed in the corner with stress bars showing while they happily take over the whole tank the only time they are allowed out the corner is when theres food but once its gone they get chased back typical male

Leanne

Some strains can, and do breed that early. Looks like your boy wants to be a man LOL
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

i have a very small discus trying to pair up with the dominent pair of the tank! weird? lol
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Medium Discus
    Do you think this will continue or he'll carm down a bit once shes been in the tank for a while he was even shaking at her the whole time while I was doing a wc this morning nothing seems to phase the little bugger.

Leanne

lol
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

A water change will probably make him do it more.

Medium Discus
    Will he carm down a bit once shes been in the tank for a while shes only been in there 5 days Is there anything I can do to make him stop as hes so agressive at the moment hes even cleaning my big castle I have in there but yet she doesnt shake back or clean with him will he get sick of it after a while

leanne

Nothing to worry about. Just those raging teenage hormones. And yes, he will settle down after a while if she doesn't return his attentions.

All just part of growing up. Instinct is telling him this is the thing to do, but they rarely cause any real damage to each other.

Just as an interesting side line, your HE may in fact be a SHE. I've had lots of females act this way.