Hi, I'm New Here!

Strange Breathing pattern

Hi everyone... I started noticing a bit of a different breathing pattern with my discus.. it started out as them breathing a little heavily at times now all of them are breathing kinda heavy and the only way I can describe it is that it seems like they'll be breathing and every 5-10 secs take a double breath like they're gasping for air... Today I noticed one of them scraping up against a piece of driftwood, and that same one has dark dull colored eyes...

any suggestions??
    Brad

Honorary Discus Lover!!

Larvae
    Sounds like gill flukes to me. You treat them with prazi. You can buy that as Aquamaster Tapeworm and Gill Fluke tablets, they are meant to be a good brand.
    Dave

Hi, I'm New Here!
    that was my thought too, but they're breathing from both gills.. does that matter??
    Brad

Honorary Discus Lover!!

Larvae
    It seems that sometimes they breathe from both and sometimes from one. I think it depends how infested a particular gill is. I'd be dosing for gill flukes though to make sure.
    Dave

Wrigglers
    I've just been through a similar problem with mine. They were still breathing through both gills but labouring hard to breath. The "double" breath is prbably a cough as they try to dislodge mucus & flukes from their gills.
    I treated with Sterazin intially with limited success and have just finished treating with Prazi which seems to have worked - watch & wait.
    Be sure to follow instructions for Prazi, including the follow up treatment, or you may start breeding resistant flukes.
    Good luck.

Hi B_rad. Can't add anything further than what the guys have already told you. Their information is totally accurate.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend