Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Larvae

Eheim wet/dry filter

Okay now that my 4 discus have me well and truly hooked (and at their beck and call) I have decided to fire up my old 5x2x2 devoted soley to discus (my other is community). What I was wondering was should I drill it and make a trickle system (?) or I was talking to my lfs guy about one of the new Eheim professional wet/dry filters. He seems to reckon that they do as good a job as a DIY trickle without the need to drill a hole in my old faithful. It just so happens I know where I can get a brand spanking new one of these on the cheap, but was wondering what you all think about them? Good, no good? Any sugestions?

San Merah Discus
    is Eheim professional wet/dry filter is the one with the heater inside them? If yes, i think its probably is good idea , because if the heater broke , it cost really expensive to fix, just use normal canister filter and separate heater. Cheaper brand is like JEBO , aqua one , etc.

Larvae
    Hi Katie,

I would have to say not worth the extra. My very expensive wet/dry Eheim (not with heater) is currently sitting under the tank and has been replaced by an old faithful aquaclear which I think does a better job. I am not going to use any canister again.

Anyone in Melbourne who wants one can make me an offer!!

Lesley

Larvae
    I am leaning towards sticking with the cannister filters. I have been looking around and haven't heard very much good about the wet/dry filters. I think it will be a case of sticking with what I know works.

Larvae
    I have been using cannister filters for many years now. A couple weeks ago I decided to remove a trickle filter setup on 4x2x2 and installed Eheim 2028. I found the trickle filter setup a bit too noisy. I got the filter from overseas since I think Eheim prices is ridiculous here. Never have problem with my cannister filters, don't have to replace impellers even on my 15 years old eheim 2213 cannister.
    I never use the wet/dry version but it should work. I don't it's Eheim best seller maybe because it cost more and people dont' understand it. They haven't copied the wet/dry model yet Some people mentioned that the wet/dry part gets clogged up easily but have not seen it myself. I would think Eheim have done testing on it.
    Now, anybody in Perth want to buy trickle filter with bioballs

Just an Egg
    I've got a Eheim wet/dry filter (without the heater). I think they are great. I've disabled the wet/dry function about a month ago as I'm injecting CO2 into my tank for the plants.

Regards

Marvin

Ehiem make great products but they are expensive. You can setup a wet/dry with out having too drill your tank. A box over flow or the "S" bend over flow are just some examples of other ways too syphon the water from the tank too the filter..

Scott AKA - Flukes

Larvae
    I am thinking about just trying the wet/dry filter. I can get it cheaper then what it sells for (I think I saw it priced somewhere for around $500)
    Marvin- why did you have to disable the wet/dry function because of co2 injection? How did you find your water quality before and after? Much difference?

Just an Egg
    Hi Katie

The wet/dry filter mixes more oxygen with the water than a standard cannister filter. It also helps release CO2 from the water as it pumps most of the water out of the cannister before it fills up again. I would be wasting the CO2 if I kept using the wet dry function.

As for results I couldn't really say as I haven't done any tests lately

The water and fish looked good when I was using wet/dry function and still looks god after.

Marvin

Tiny Fry
    my wet/dry filter..
    bit trouble to start evey time after i clean it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wet_dry.jpg