Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Medium Discus

What got you into this Hobby

Im just woundering what drove everyone on this site to appreciate the grace and beauty of the discus fish.

I Kept fish for years as a Junior just guppys etc.
    Had a lot of fish keeping years off due to playing football cricket all that sort of stuff.
    Ive nearly finished playing football, a few years ago I decided to fire one of old tanks up. I walked into my LFS noticed in his display tank these awesome gracefull discus fish and have been hooked ever since and havent stopped.
    I plan to play golf and stuff around with Discus for a long time now.

Thats my story whats yours

Medium Discus
    I myself have kept just normal tropicals since I was about 17 had a break for a while I had a couple of children well 4 actually and then someone gave me a baby turtle well I got him a 2ft which he outgrew so I gave him a 4ft which he stayed in for about 2 yrs. I actually out grew him myself as turtles are really dirty (if you think discus have big poos u should see a turtles) and I eventually sold him to a pet shop. I ended up getting some tropical fish like angels and tetras etc and then my sister also got into fish she bought a couple of discus and I knew that that was what I wanted to have and I love them some days I just drive around all day looking at the fish in the lfs the end

Leanne

Ps chris i sent you a pm

i started breeding and hand-raising cockatiels since i was about 9. did that for a couple of years until recently when i sold most of them and up graded to more exotic birds. during this time my brother had a couple of gouramis and angles ect. and i kind of enjoyed them when i had nothin else to do. i often said to him how could you possibly like something that doesnt do anything? you dont pat it, it isnt affectionate, it cant do tricks, it is nothing compared to a bird, cat, dog, sheep, horse, blue-tonge, hermit crab (i have all of these at pressent except the hermits and sheep, but i used to have them). i thought fish were a total waste of time until the day i was at my friends pet shop and he had shown my brother the round fish with striking colours. my brother ended up buying 2 discus and i started enjoying them allot more. i even cleaned his tank for him when he was at his friends place for the week end! HOW LOW CAN I GO!!!! (he is a bit slack when it comes to tank maintanence!)

i gathered info on discus and was tricked when most of my info saidthat they are really hard to keep and are for experienced aquariusts only. so i started on the quest of gathering experience with guppies and after about 4 months came accross a guy selling discus for $10 ea. i thought this would be a good starting point on discus so i bought a couple. i experience some large losses during my first year of discus (im in my 3rd) and since then gotten a six ft tank, gotten discus from turks to white butterfly's and not lost a discus in over 1 and 1/2 years and breeding them!

sorry if i bored every1 with my whole birds and past and present pets thing just thought some pet enthousiests (hope i got that right) might like to know what i have
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Medium Discus
    wow david and if im right your only 14 my son turns 14 in june and all he has is a cat. How do u afford it.

Leanne

Medium Discus

Cool Stories

There both cools storys Dave and leanne.
    Never thought about that Dave they dont crave our attention you cant pat them but we are all fascinated.

yes i am 14 leanne i am not really in charge of the cats and dogs althoagh i have a poodle (2 dogs 2 cats). they get allot of fresh meat ect. and i have my sources for that. i am well known at the pet shop i go to so i get discounts (horse, blue-tongue and bird food + we buy it all in bulk so i ends up allot cheaper. as for fish my pals at G&S get me that 1 + i get a 10% discount on most things (for bein a DF.com member). i have my things set up in the simplest form so it it less maintanence (the horse lives on my property (1 and a bit acres) so there is no cost for space for him). also i can feed my birds allot of things produced in my backyard eg. thistles, grass, fruit ect.

so in the end it isnt to bad. for me it is about the pleasures i get from them. i hate people who want pets but only want to give them the bare essentials. i also get money from breedin them and all
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Blue Diamond Discus
    the need of some new dinner plates

Medium Discus
    I first started this hobby just to entertain my daughter, cause she liked looking at fishes swimming in aquariums at LFS. My first tank consisted of a few varieties of fish but once I got my first discus, Wooooooo, I go crazy with them. And now, after almost 10 years, I can't think of anything that will ever stop me from keeping discus.....................
    Happy Discus Keeping Everybody...............

Regards,
    Sanie.

kool sanie
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Medium Discus

Great stories

Great stories people lets here somemore :P