Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wrigglers

Finally built a DIY Co2 system but?????

finally got around and built a co2 system. It seems to be working quite well. Just a bottle with some sugar, yeast and warm water. It releases a strong release of bubbles. Prob about 1 per sec. Will this eventually affect the parameters of my water.

thanks for you feed back

Larvae
    hey,

yeah i've found that there can be an initial drop in ph, but in my case it was only minor.

don't forget that with one bottle the bubbles will eventually stop so keep an eye on it, you might find hooking a couple of them inline with each other but started on different days will mean less changeover requirements,

i think ryan had a good pic of his nice blue bottles on top of the tank and diffuser on this forum if it will help.

Brenton
    Who's a happy little french fry?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Will this eventually affect the parameters of my water.

Adding Co2 to the water will affect your water parameters immediately by causing a drop in pH. To help stabilise the pH of the water I recommend adding a bit of crushed coral to the tank. This will add carbonate which acts as a nice buffering system in the presence of CO2 gas. However carbonate evidently will interfere with discus egg fertilisation. But then again I wouldn't run CO2 on a tank I was trying to breed discus only in a planted tank is it really needed.

Tiny Fry
    depends how big your tank is...
    I have 2x 2ltr bottle going all the time for my 4 ft tank...can not see any effect on the water parameter..
    but certainly can tell plants are growing very well..

I found my tanks where big enough to cope with 3 bottle running inline with no adverse effects to pH

although till you are satisfied with your ssytem check the ph twice daily and record your actions so you know what is happening

your plants will be lving you soon
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Wrigglers

CO2 SYSTEM

thanks for the feedback ppl. Ive oly ran the one initial bottle but thibk ill upgrade to two. I dont have a diffuser just the hose running into a air stone under the filter outlet so that it mixes with the water as its propelled out of the filter is this enough or do I have to do more to diffuse the co2 properly??????

i did the same thing for awhile.

it did work, so stay with it for awhile

you will get better results from a diffuser, but start slow, get used your brew first
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Ryan, pitchblack had a problem a few nights ago with stuff from the bottle leaking into his tank. It wiped out half of his discus. Can you give us all some tips on setting up the Co2 without getting problems.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Wrigglers
    I dont think it was the stuff from the bottle???? But I could be wrong anyway how is a good way to diffuse it?????

they stuff that leaked was a yeast build up

Did you fill the bottle's or only halfway?

NEVER SHAKE YOUR BOTTLES, you turn your back and they over react and start to froth

also i put empty bottle at the front of my two brewing bottles, this catches anything that overflows from the back bottle. i normally never have an overflow unless i knock one on its side accidentally.

i actually had one of my first attemps of DIY flow into the tank, i didn't lose any fish but i did have a BIG mess on my hands.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

that is the site i always try to find, explians the whole thing, even has a diagram of how to setup your bottles right

i don't think it was the way you diffused it, al method of diffusing still require silicone hose's to go into the tank.
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!