Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Larvae
    damn it leanne, you got in before me....now I look like a fool
    Dave

Medium Discus
    Sorry Dave I think she said to me last night shes having individual filters for each tank so she wont need the water flow bit worried if one discus gets sick they all might catch it as they are her breeding pairs that are going in it.

Leanne

Tiny Fry
    If you are after individual filters decent size hang on filters may be better than canisters. They'll cost less, take up less space and are IMO easier to clean and keep their flow better.

Larvae
    To late I have gone with canister filters, I have also ordered this thing that goes on the end of the intake pipe which spins around and difuses the water coming in. I am really pleased with my set up but I am desperate for it to be cycled and ready for fish. My two community tanks are war zones at the moment with fish trying to breed etc.

PS Leanne I went to the LFS to tell him my exciting news (the GSS have laid) and guess what someone had been there before me. Its kind of like being pregant and someone breaks the news for you.

Medium Discus
    sorry I went there today to get some live bs for your fish im looking after and he asked how you were so we got talking

Leanne

News that good would be hard to keep a secret :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Larvae
    Hey leanne I dont mind, anyway this morning I watched the mother (red dragon) eat her wrigglers (what was left after the father tried to move the eggs) .
    I didnt expect anything as this is her first time, anyway this morning they can go in their own tank. I am also trying an experiement in one tank I am cycling it using goldfish, (I know all about the risk of disease) I will take some of the water to uni and have a look. I am also going to cycle the other 3 tanks with ammonia. The last tank I have used a cycled filter, gravel and ornaments so I think it should me fine. Once it is established I will take the gravel and ornament out (slowly).

What I really want to know is how everyone sets up their filter media for canisters. I put the rocks/noodles etc onthe bottom then course filter pad and then fine. Do you think bioballs are better than noodles?

I have my cannisters set up just the way you describe. Lots of people use bio balls now because it increases the available surface area for bacteria to colonize. I have small bio balls in some and noodles in others, and can't find any difference.

If you were using a large sump, then bio balls would definately be the way to go.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

ceramic noddles still have a rather large surface area due to the porus nature of the material,

hence the reson air bubbles out of them when thay are initally placed in water

i would use noddles in cannisters and bio balls in sumps
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!