Medium Discus

Changing filters

Hi all Believe it or not I still run a otto internal filter in my 4 ft tank with 8 juvies ranging in size from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches in size, while I have no problems with ammonia etc or illnesses I would like to upgrade to a canister filter as they are getting a lot bigger. Can I just add this to the tank as is with my other filter running as well and how long should I leave the internal in for while I do this Thanks guys

Leanne

i have done this before. all i did was keep the original filter running and put ur new 1 in and just run it for about 4 weeks. if you really felt like it add this filter and dont remove the other one. this will give you better filteration. if there is allot of current put a spray bar on it.

David
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Good advice David.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    Thanks David I might just keep the other filter running as well as I want to add a couple more discus to the tank so the more filteration the better i suppose antil I can get my 6 ft going. Thanks again

Leanne

thats alright Leanne

u might as well keep it running. unless you have another tank you want to add this filter to. it would be an excellent waste of good bacteria and by the sounds of it this is a well cycled filter.

David
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Not sure whether or not you can pull the filter media out of your otto and stick it into the cannister filter as well as the other media - this way if you need a cycled filter in a hurry, just pull the media out of the cannister & plug it back in the otto - instant cycled filter

Regards

Dave

Medium Discus
    Very well cycled its been going for about 3 years now it used to filter my turtle then my tropicals and now my discus. I want to get a 6ft in a couple of months so I'll keep it going for now then add it to my 6ft to help cycle it.

Leanne

Medium Discus
    Yeah I dont know about that Dave as I not familar with canisters never owned one yet but I know my otto just holds 2 sponges in it so I dont know if I can put them in a canister.

Leanne