Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Larvae

New Setup, advice would be great

I have finally set up some new tanks, Three, four foot tanks one on top of the other. I have divided two in half, as breeding tanks. So the top tank has a large canister filter and will be used as a grow out tank. However I am not sure what to do with the bottom two,(four). Do I use individual canisters or buy a big pump and connect sponges to them. I DONT want to do daily water changes so I need good filtration.

Also what about lights, they will get dim light in the day time, but do they need additional light? how much light do they need? should I put lights on a timer so long each day?

I have a fully cycled filter to add to one of the small tanks as I am hoping to set it up quickly, I have a pair trying to produce in a community tank. I will also add a sponge. However this will only be tempory as I would like a good system for the lower four tanks. Any ideas I'am not handy, hubby is but cant push my luck too far. Any advice would be appreciated.

individual canisters would be the way to go, less chance of a problem that way. no chance of a deaises spreading

sponges will also assit, your filter that has been cycleing may be a asset to speed up the cycling process of the tanks. start with a quailty set of sponges in each and use the filter to seed these sponges by runing it in each of the tanks. also look at saving for a series of canisters if your not a DIY freak

lights are nice to view by but not a nessecity, depends on your budget and skills. whatever suits your application
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Larvae
    What do you recommend in the way of canisters. I have a Rena which I love. quite, easy to clean and work on, but I think they are hard to get now. I also have a Eihem paid $500 for it and I really dont think it is worth it, I cant lift it, self priming it takes someone a lot stronger than me. I have heard that aqua clears are good but maybe too much water flow in a breeding tank? However if you used a long spray bar, a prefilter and turned it down I would think it would be OK?

Larvae
    I am thinking of ordering the fluval 104 or maybe the prime 10 which is better?

I'm running several of the Fluval 104's on breeding tanks at the moment. They are well priced and seem to be doing a great job. They have a control on the top of the cannister to adjust the water flow, so I can just keep it ticking over without creating too much current when the pair are spawning.

I put a sponge on the intake pipe, to prevent fry getting sucked into the filter. Works for me.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Larvae
    Thanks I ordered 4 of the Fluval 104's from 'age of aquariums' last night, I will leave them BB but to kick start things, I will add some gravel etc from another tank, and seed the filter if I also add seachems 'stability' could I add fish staright away?

Also how do you have the filter media set up?

Medium Discus

Hi Kaza

Sorry to jump into this thread, just a quick question, Kaza how do you divide you 4 footer into a 2 footer

Larvae
    I would assume he uses eggcrate style dividers.

Medium Discus
    Actually she took them to a glass place who makes aquariums and he put a piece of glass in the middle so its now two tanks I seen her set up yesterday quite good actually.

Larvae
    Kaza's actually a girl, but yeah egg crate is normally the way you would divide a tank, to allow water flow.
    Dave