Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sick fish

Medium Discus

sick fish

I have a sick red turk juvi which I have tried everything to get better. Hes in a isolation tank by himself and hasnt eaten in weeks. I have wormed him twice and nothing. I have raised his temp to 34 added salt and nothing hes even had a couple of doses of metro and still he doesnt eat. He is not dark at all even looks quite pale with not much colour just dont know what to do with him next does anyone have any opinions? Oh and he doesnt poo so cant tell you the colour of it either.

Blue Diamond Discus
    This is imho, but I would probably do an intense treatment of metro. I don't think it is ammonia etc ... could be something else but without any other symptoms or taking him to Dr Dolittle ....

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/vi...ight=white+poo
    Dave

Medium Discus
    No dont think its ammonia even though I havent tested for it but I got him off my sister who was having trouble with him as I had a iso tank. i change 25% to 40% every 2nd day ph is 6.8 and nitrites is always 0. I fed him some live black worms today and he just sat there and watched them all wiggle past him. I dont want to give up but maybe hes just never gonna get well I hate to see anything suffer.

Medium Discus
    Last night I gave him a dose of metro but this time I doubled it from 200mg per 40 litres to 400 mg and this morning he had thick and I mean thick white looking ooze coming out of him I think today I ll start him on a 3 day course and see how he goes should I add salt as well and what temp should I have it on its on 32 at the moment.

i have these theory, that when most animals are in a group and then one is taken away and put by him/herself they fret. i guess he is missing his little friends so maybe the whole shock of medication and bieng my him/herself has really knocked him around. I am not saying what you have done is not right by putting the discus by them selves, but i guess it is not helping the situation.

how many other discus were in the tank??

Medium Discus
    My sister had him originally we had them shipped over from bris at the end of dec. He was in a 5ft tank with another 17 fish we only took him out of there about 2 weeks ago as he has never eaten we also had another 2 fish that were the same but one got better after being wormed and the other one a dose of metro but this one is still the same. He hasnt eaten in 6 weeks so i thought my last hope was to give him a full dose of metro and as I did get him off my sister I thought putting him in a isolation tank was better than putting him in my tank with 8 juvis. I hate to think that he is so weak form starvation but Im not sure what to do with him and I did give long breaks in between meds and I only gave him one dose of metro at 200 mg per 40 litres thats why I thought a full course might be the way to go, what do you think?

Medium Discus
    oh and also he never interacted with any of the other 17 fish he was in with as from day 1 he hid behind a piece of driftwood and never came out. I think he didnt cope with being shipped over very well.

Larvae
    As leanne said this fish from day one never looked right, orginally all of the blue and red turks I had sent over got sick, white poo. After treating for hex twice they all got better apart from 2. I had no isolation tank so Leanne took them both. After worming one got better leaving him. I dont know if he will make it as it has been 6 weeks since he has eaten. However Leanne just doesnt give up and in the process she is learning lots.
    I really dont think he is fretting because he is by himself, as he use to get picked on because he was so weak.

At this stage, it's not looking good. But, where there is life, there is hope. So all you can do is try to tempt him with live food, like brine shrimp or mossie wrigglers. Good luck, and keep us posted.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend