Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scoria Rock as Filter Media

On the advice of my son, I bought a bag of scoria rock from Flower Power to use as media in my new sump. Here's some info on scoria http://geology.about.com/od/rocks/ig...cpicscoria.htm

Anyone know if it is inert? Just dawned on me that he uses it for his African tank, but if it is inert it wouldn't make any difference whether for discus or Africans.

Other issue is getting the water to run clear. No matter how many changes of water, when I swish the scoria around in a fresh container of water - the water goes red again. Not sure how particular I should get about this. I think when you pour the water on it & you DON'T swish it all around, water stays clear.

Anyone got any comments on using scoria as a filter media for discus?
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

scoria is inert and an excellent filter media, i use it in my ponds.

washing it is the most painfull process you'll ever undertake.

you have to get all that red dust out it will take hours and your hands will be ripped up

( tip from the moron who's been there, wear good thick washing gloves and save yourself the cuts and scratches)

Darn - wish I'd picked a different media, in that case. I have lost count how many changes of water a 7litre bucket of scoria has gone through & still the water is as red as ever.

Just checking - are you sure this stuff ever rinses clean & stops bleeding red into the wash water?

SnakeSkin Discus
    It does eventually wash clean. It takes a very long time though and even though its far cheaper to start of with then matrix how much do you value the hours spent washing it

LOL to quote Ben...

washng scoria is a bionic pain in the bum

Re: Scoria Rock as Filter Media

Quote Originally Posted by TW
    On the advice of my son, I bought a bag of scoria rock from Flower Power to use as media in my new sump.
    LOL, I'd be asking him to clean it then

I am very tempted to do just that. But I'm still waiting for him to come around & plumb up my new sump, so i have to be nice (well, at least till then).

Otherwise, I'd give him an earful Never again will I buy scoria.

I guess there's no rush for him to plumb up my sump after all - as I'll be washing scoria till I'm old & grey & still I will be complaining my water is red

Well, I got serious & nuked the red dust from scoria with the karcher pressure cleaner. In the end, the amount of scoria i bought only filled one section of the sump.

What other suggestions for media might I use? I'm trying to contain costs, so hoping there is an alternative to what you buy from LFS.

Wrigglers
    Plastic scourers form bunnings.
    Cheers
    Bart