Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Building your own aquarium

Hi all,

I'm planning to build my own aquarium, can anyone share their experience where to buy good but not too expensive glass from in Sydney ?

Thanks for your help

Medium Discus
    If you want quality - try the forums sponsors!
    Aaron

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    Excel Glass on Victoria Rd, West Ryde. I have known them for 20+ years. Top guys that will be happy to help you out.
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

Medium Discus
    Sorry nanik, I mis-read your question. 'Building' your own yourself. Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with it. :
    Aaron

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    Sounds like a pain the arse to me....

A photo journal would be great !!!! What size tank?
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

The size of your tank now is completely in your hands, depends on what you want it for and where it is going.

Last weekend I had to remake an 5ft x 2ft x 2ft tank. It was an old one I bought from a friend, and it had been in his garden for a fair while. As it was a bit ropey, I decided to strip it out and re-seal/glue it up. The most important thing for me is knowing it will be up to the job, and being an engineer, I like to have things right. Once the old sealant was cleaned out of the corners, using a stanley knife, I made a tool for re-applying the sealant. I think we all know what a pain this stuff is to use, so finding a way to get a bubble free bead of sealant was crucial.

Basically, I made a scraper from a 4" wide piece of perspex. It was made as accuratly as I could, and it worked a treat. The photos below show the scraper.
    To use it, you sqeeze in a large bead of sealant right into the corner of the tank along the whole length to be sealed, then use the tool to spread the sealer in a uniform width and size. You have to make sure that the tool stays at 90 degrees to the tank sides to stop any unwanted spread, and leter clean up. The angle on the face of the tool is very important as it guides the glue in and leaves the smooth professional finish. Easy. I'll post up a few pics of the finished result as soon as I can. For now, just the spreader tool I made.

Hope this helps a bit, specially if you are going to make a tank youself.

H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spreading_tool_3.jpg   spreading_tool_2.jpg  
    Why me ?

2 more.

Note, the 15mm that I have indicated can be made smaller to suit a smaller tank. But I was after strength as i said before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spreading_tool_4.jpg   spreading_tool_1.jpg  
    Why me ?

you can get a premade plastic device just like steve's from bunnings round $6 for a pack of 4, will save you so much effort when you got to glue your tank together, I'm resealing a 4x2x1.5 on the weekend, will try and get some photos of it up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    you can get a premade plastic device just like steve's from bunnings round $6 for a pack of 4, will save you so much effort .
    Wish we had Bunnings here Would have saved me some time.
    Why me ?

Theres not much weight in them mate i can post you a couple if you like, they're no where near as classy as yours they're also ment to be disposable but you can get a few uses out of them.