Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wrigglers

Black Hairy Alage

I've been battling with this BLACK HAIRY 'ALGAE' for months now. First it was all over my anubias.... so I just threw the lot in the bin. I thought that may solve the problem but I now notice that this black stuff is growing on the glass....literally covering all surfaces.....

Question:

a) What can I do to remove this black hairy algae?
    I have tried scraping it off but it's useless.
    Is it algae? Should I try an algae-cide?

b) Does this stuff affect my discus?
    It has not affected them so far....but just to be safe.

My tank is std 4' T 28C Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate ?10ppm pH6.8
    bare bottom
    -To every sarcasm there's an element of truth-

Tiny Fry
    the black hair algea won't affect your fish...just looks bad in the tank...all you can do is to cut the leafs that have black hair algea grow on it..

maybe you can buy medi to kill them..but i never use before...good luck...it's really pain in the ass...

is your tank close to sun light??
    a UV unit can slow growth all kind of algea...at least it works for me..

Just an Egg
    Skoom,

I now the frustration, here is what I did that worked for me.

1) Algae on glass, rock and wood, I used boiling water to kill it.
    I used a syringe filled with boiling (just boiled) water, and shot the effected area.
    Try to keep the fish and kids away when you do it. (Lost a krib who was to inquisitive)
    This is OK if it in small areas, other wise with rock take them out and boil.

2) On the plants I used hydrogen peroxide, chemist should sell it. (Food grade)
    Again fill a syringe and shoot the affected area of the leaf. A bit at a time or you my loose the leaf.
    You will notice that the hair algae will start to turn white within a few hours.

I hope this work for you.

Also check your phosphates, black hair algae grows very well with high phosphate levels.

Azoo have a product that claims to kill it.

Rob.G

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Try a siamese algae eater but get a baby one if you can and it will eat away your black hair algae, it worked for me!!

Wrigglers
    thanks. i might pop into the LFS and ask if they have a product that will solve the problem...it really is an eyesore.

with the boiling water method.....does it mean I have to take all the fish out first....etc..... probably not too practical for me.

i might need to check for phosphate from tap...shouldn't really accumulate because i change the water sufficiently.

thanks again...

will update with any succesful methods...

i like the idea of the siamese algae eater....

Just an Egg
    Skoom,

With boiling water just make sure the fish don't get in the way. Thats the idea behind using a syringe
    You need to do smallish areas at a time.

Siamese algae eater will eat the algae but they prefer fish food so try not to feed them, i know easier said than done.
    Also when you go to LFS make sure it is the SEA (crossocheilus siamensis)not the flying fox (epalzeorhynchos kalopterus)

AAW has the azoo product for hair algea
    http://www.aquaria.com.au/catalog/pr...oducts_id/6777

E-mail them to make sure.

Also try plantgeek forum
    http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/index.php

Hope it helps

Blue Diamond Discus
    IMHO I would go with a natural solution. I would be careful with adding any chemical that kills aglae, as it may do more than that ... I have heard bad things about LFS algae products.
    Dave

Wrigglers
    Thanks.

I went to the LFS and spotted a tank with 'true siamensis'. I assumed it was the Siamese Algae Eater.

I bought ONE and it is 2cm. ($3.25)

I am not sure if it is too small...I've had a lot of small fish and they don't seem to be as hardy....

Should I buy another?

The issue about not feeding them.... that might be a bit difficult because the Discus need to eat right? so there might be some scraps....

thanks anyway....will update on progress.

Blue Diamond Discus
    They are omnivorous, so they will appreciate the scraps.

My bristlenose in my discus tanks grow faster than when they are fed a vegetable diet ... I think they like abit of protein now and again.

I too am battling brown/black algae. I am combating it with burshing off the algae with a sponge, doing huge water changes after these, adding bristlenose and adding more plants, and more light for the plants.

It looks abit ugly now, but when the plants have won it will look stunning.
    Dave

Wrigglers
    The little bugger isn't eating any of the algae, just sits in the corner underneath the sponge filter....

Is he too small...hasn't acclimatised yet ... or should I get him a friend...

The hairy algae is a real eye-sore!