Just an Egg

Neons are they soft

Hi there,

I was told today that neons are hard to keep long term and was wondering if the term "soft" is a deserved reputation.

Regards Darren

Darren, I wouldn't say soft, they can tolleratemany things, but they are often seen as a gauge fish, as they can tend to die when things are going downhill.
    That said, I have had them last for 2 years with my discus.

H
    Why me ?

Blue Diamond Discus
    I have only been keeping tropical fish for 14 months and I still have all but one of the neons I bought on set up. Lost a quite a few other breeds of fish but not the good ol neons.

Just an Egg
    I just cant seem to keep neon or rummy nosed tetras alive. Decided yesterday to get a school of lemon tetras and so far so good. Might try neon's when my 4 footer is set up or even cardinals

Thanks for the comments

Regards Darren

You need to check all your water parameters asap. They are not dieing for no reason. If you also have discus, you will be putting their health in jeopardy too.

Please post up your results, we can then help you stop these deaths.
    How often are you water changing? what filter system have you got running? how much food and what foods are you feeding?

H
    Why me ?

you tend to loose them faster at higher temps i found,

either way a midnight discus snack is an often occurance!

Just an Egg
    use my rummy nose as an indicator as well...bought 8 and still have 8....so I am good to go.
    The neons on the other hand I bought 8 and I have none left. So i would call them soft.
    TK

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I found Neons harder than Cardinals to keep with Discus, I put it down to the Neons not being happy in higher temperatures that Discus like. I originally bought 15 Cardinals and still had all of them 12 months down the track then one by one they disappeared. I couldn't figure out what was happening until early one morning before the tank lights came on I saw my male red turk hunting the still dosing cardinals, once it was injured his mate joined the feast......an expensive Discus breakfast