Wrigglers

How should I finish a raw pine aquarium cabinet

Hi guys, I am thinking of buying a raw pine aquarium cabinet, but am not sure what's the best / easiest way to finish it. Would it be too much bother to stain it or should I just paint it black? What would you do?

Cheers

just paint it with an oil based paint paint you'll get a nice gloss finish that practicly water proof if you do it properly.

Wrigglers
    Thanks Illusn

Do you (or anyone else) know of any good cabinet makers who are able to make aquarium cabinets? I wonder if it is cheaper to buy direct from the cabinet makers rather than the LFSs...

Cheers

Wrigglers
    Hey flaggy,
    In a previous occupation I used to make wooden stands for ceramic water dispensers, i used to finish them with a product from Bunnings which is a stain and an estapol all in one, with a couple of coates they used to come out sensational but I used to apply it with a spray gun.... if you don't have a spray gun you can just use a brush but make sure it has fine brissels and it should come up great.
    Regards,
    Norto.
    The best things in life come from doing the impossible!.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Doesn't it depend?

I think it probably depends on the finish you're after. Waterproofing is certainly a major consideration, but appearance possibly is also (depending on the intended purpose of the tank).

I'm doing exactly the same with a 6'*2' stand and hood at the moment. I chose a finish ("Australian Jarrah") that my wife agreed to which requires staining then three layers of "cabothane". Doing it all by hand with sand paper and paint brush, taking ages.

Cheers,
    Doug

Tiny Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggy
    Thanks Illusn

Do you (or anyone else) know of any good cabinet makers who are able to make aquarium cabinets? I wonder if it is cheaper to buy direct from the cabinet makers rather than the LFSs...

Cheers
    I had my cabinet and tank made by a guy in western sydney, near campbelltown.. He was quite cheap and I was really happy with it. I'll PM you the details...

R

Blue Diamond Discus BigDaddyAdo's Avatar
    Ummmmm...I think he has probably sorted it out by now...

Ado
    I don't get drunk I get AWESOME!!!

Wrigglers
    hey, thanks guys... my plans are on hold for now till after xmas so i can plan my 5 x 2 x 2 properly. definitely still useful information though.

cheers
    flaggy