Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Larvae

My first posting and unfortunately I have big problems

I have a problem in my four foot tank water parameters are fine. It has a large canister filter and a 9 watt UV sterlizer. The tank has six four inch Discus and 30 neons, and some corycats. It is planted with gravel I change 25% of the water every second day and until four days ago had never had any problems.

I removed a pair of fish who keep breeding and stressing the other discus by chasing them. I did a 50% water change, so I could use the water in the other tank. Unfortunately my PH tester malfunctioned and the ph went from 6.5 to 6.0. I did not realize this until the following day, this of course stressed the fish.

The next day I noticed the neons fins were raggy and the scales were standing up slightly. I treated with malfixand also aquaclear and increased temp to 32c.

However yesterday my blue cobolt was dark, fins clamped and had some cotton wool stuff on the top pf his fins. Today he is much worse and I can see signs on the other fish that they are getting it too. I went and brought Wardleys Fungus-ade. I have treated the water with this and hope they will be fine. I have covered the tank, left the UV off so it doesnt effect the medi.
    Should I add salt as well?

I will never keep neons or any fish for that matter with discus, as when you need to use heat or medi it is hard on the little chaps.

Blue Diamond Discus
    Hi mate. Welcome to the forums, I joined under simlar circumstances when I bought 4 discus 6 months ago that became sick.

Sounds like the stress has caused a fungus outbreak. Luckily it is not too hard to treat.

Usually the first line of treatment is just water changes, increasing heat to about 32 degrees (a few community species can tolerate that heat for a short period of time however prolonged increased temperature may lead to burn out), and salt treatment.

However if medication is required, best to go for a medicine that contains malachite green. Most multicure products do. A few of these medications require increased airation of the tank.

Does WARDLEYS FUNGUS ADE contain malachite green ?
    Dave

Medium Discus
    with 32c your neon may not last long .....

Blue Diamond Discus
    Not sure what the effect on tetra will be at that temperature. You might want to play it safe and not crank it up so high. What is your initial temp ?
    Dave

take it to 32d c and add salt at the rate of one teaspoon per 10ltrs

keep up the mac green

keep the uv off and your lights

hope for the best with the neons but treat the discus first, or remove the neons to another tank

sorry to say welcome under sad circumstances
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Larvae
    Thanks guys for responsing so quickly, yes the medi does contain malacite green. I am sorry to see the neons suffer I have a little tank that currently I am heating so I can put them in there. My bristle noses are not happy either so will try to get them out too. God when discus are sick they look really bad. I am just hoping it doesnt spread to the other tanks, I have been washing my hands and using seperate buckets etc. I have just brought 18 young discus to grow out so I dont want any problems in that tank.

good idea moving the bn

they can somtimes have ill reactions to meds
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Larvae
    Quick update this morning one of the fish looked half dead, on his side, dark and covered in white stuff. However just before I put some bloodworms in for the other fish and bugger me he came up and took a couple of worms. Go figure!
    However the fish in the baby tank are huddled in a group, dark and off their food. I spoke to their breeder this morning and he suggests salt and antibodics, cover the tank and last water changes.
    When I am over all this I want to set up a water storage system and pump. I cant stand carrying all these buckets of water.

Does anyone suggest anything else I should be doing?

Blue Diamond Discus
    I would increase the airation of the tank while your treating with meds, add an airstone or air sponge filter or something.

Discus are tough little buggers. I hope you guys pull through.
    Dave

Thanks for the advice dave, I have added an airstone.

I also have a couple of questions, ok the guy in the fish shop dowm here told me not to add salt to the water he said it makes the hardness go up and in Adelaide our water is very hard anyway. I was surprised as I've been told salt is the way to go.

He also told me to add Aquari-Cycline to the water which is Teracycline. So I did as he suggested 50% water change and then added the medi to both tanks. Well within two hours all the fish looked much worse totally refusing food and slime is just pouring of them. The babies are totally freaked out if I so much as walk past their tank they bang into the glass and go mental. I have just covered the tank now.

Ok has anyone used this medi? Is it good? I am just praying that tomorrow I get up and they all look better. To make matters worse as I sit here typing this I am watching my breeding pair laying eggs, this is the last thing I need with 25 sick fish, I dont even want to touch this tank I am scared I could give them something.