Just an Egg

Whiptail Catfish in Discus tank temp.

Hi everyone,

I have two long nose whiptail catfish and was wondering if they would survive the warm discus water temp. I have it set at 29 - 30 deg. They are currently in a small tank at 27.5 deg with the PH at 6.4.

If anyone has long nose whiptails with discus, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Vanessa

Wrigglers
    Vanessa, The recommended temperature for whiptail is 24.0 - 26.0 C ( 75.2 - 78.8 F) and 6.0 - 7.0 pH. Thus the pH is ok, but they may have to adopt to the high temperature.
    Lets Discuss Discus !!
    Some people are KNOW ALL.. rise above them, not sink to their levels..

My common whips breed at 30-31C ph 5.0- 5.5 every 2nd fortnight.

they'll be fine.

Wrigglers
    Cool..seems its adopted to the high temp..
    Lets Discuss Discus !!

Just an Egg
    Thank you, what a relief. I have been worried so I brought the temp down to 28... they are fine, in fact they are quite lively and my tank is spotless! They are amazing, I guess I can slowly raise the temp a little now as the discus prefer the temp to be around 29.

Thanks again for your help.
    Vanessa

Wrigglers
    Yes Vanessa, better to raise slowly, because 29 is not really their temperature, you have to give them ample time to adopt to it. Keeping it at 28 for a week to ten days would be best, and then 29. Your Discus will have no problem in 28 as well.. so go slow, both are life and God's creation.
    Lets Discuss Discus !!

SnakeSkin Discus
    as long as u do it over an hr or so u will be fine, iv'e had royals in with discus at 30c and even up to 35c for brief periods over summer and my longnose whips live in 28c and have done so for a cpl of yrs now. at a decent size whips are hardier than led to believe.

Wrigglers
    Quote Originally Posted by vanessa messig
    Thank you, what a relief. I have been worried so I brought the temp down to 28... they are fine, in fact they are quite lively and my tank is spotless! They are amazing, I guess I can slowly raise the temp a little now as the discus prefer the temp to be around 29.

Thanks again for your help.
    Here are some web links and great articles for you to know more about Whiptail Catfish and their care etc:
    http://www.petfish.net/articles/Catf...ailcatfish.php
    http://www.scotcat.com/articles/article6.html
    http://www.solodvds.com/catfish_info...=Catfish&ID=17
    http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.co...l_Catfish.html
    Lets Discuss Discus !!

Just an Egg
    Thanks guys!
    You have been a great help. The links are full of good information I need. I am so impressed with the whiptails that when I saw one on its own in an aquarium shop, I had to take it home, now I have three all doing very well together with the discus.

I am also being very careful and trying to do the right thing when it comes to my discus but still in the learning process.
    Vanessa