Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rose Red

Rose Red

Wasn't sure what this guy was, but some members here have helped me decide he is a Rose Red. He is not fully grown & because he was smaller than the other ones in the community tank, he is living for the time being in bare bottom QT with the young Heckels until big enough to move to their permanent home.

Wondered what you think of him.

I'm thick skinned, so don't worry. Even if you all tell me he is a terrible fish, I'll still love him anyway
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Blue Diamond Discus
    Robyn can I ask where you purchased him from?

I ask because when I bought my San Merah they had a number of red covers including Red Alenquer's and Rose reds from the same import. All have a red cover with lighter coloured faces and a strong facial stress bar.

Personally I love the red covers, especially once they have grown to full adults as they're colours often get much stronger.

I think Robert may have bought one from the same batch too.
    http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16308

Tiny Fry
    You're right Matt... I think mine is the same as Robyn's... I got mine from a lfs in sydney, who carry quite a few discus..

My little rose red has a great personality eats loads of everything and bullys all the other fish even thought they're much bigger than him

R

Nice looking fish TW,
    bit off topic but your heckels look in trouble ?

Hi samir

yes, so far only 1 is in trouble. But the advice, from a very respected source is to treat the lot of them with metro. I'm a little nervous. Not great timing either, as I have to go away for business for four days starting from Thursday.

Did you pick it from the picture, or did you read the other thread?

Unfortunately, I decided to house this Rose Red with the Heckels, so I guess he's in trouble now too.

I'm currently quite a worried discus mum.

Hi Mat & Robert
    You're right Matt... I think mine is the same as Robyn's... I got mine from a lfs in sydney, who carry quite a few discus..
    Gee, I woudn't have picked it. From the pictures, I thought Robert's very nice fish looked quite different. But the light face with promiment dark bar is very accurate description of mine. He came from Barry at BNC at Matraville. Is that who you mean, Robert? I know quite a few members here are his customers.

Tiny Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by TW
    Gee, I woudn't have picked it. From the pictures, I thought Robert's very nice fish looked quite different. But the light face with promiment dark bar is very accurate description of mine. He came from Barry at BNC at Matraville. Is that who you mean, Robert? I know quite a few members here are his customers.
    actually mine came from a shop in kingsford, I'm not sure I should mention them because they're not a sponsor...

R

That's okay. You've said enought so I know who you mean. Not the same shop as mine then. Mine was sold as red alencer & fairly reasonably priced. Upon questioning the spelling, he insisted it was "alencer" not "alenquer". What was your's sold as. The last picture you posted of your fish, maybe it's just the angle or lighting, but really looked different to mine (to my eyes). Do you call yours a Rose Red?

Tiny Fry
    Mine's developing the black halo thingy and a little irredescence is showing over it, if you catch it in the right light so I think mine might be a San Merah - I was sold it as a San Merah/ Super Red Alenquer..

He's still only young so only time will tell...

black halo thingy
    Do you mean where they have the black that circles their body, following the edge of their fins? I love that look on the right fish. No sign of that on mine Sometimes you can see a black line separating the tail from body - but it's a "barely there" thing. Mine's young too, so maybe it will come. Or is it the black halo that makes the difference between Rose Red & San Merah? Ahh, so much to learn.

Tiny Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by TW
    black halo thingy
    Do you mean where they have the black that circles their body, following the edge of their fins? I love that look on the right fish. No sign of that on mine Sometimes you can see a black line separating the tail from body - but it's a "barely there" thing. Mine's young too, so maybe it will come. Or is it the black halo that makes the difference between Rose Red & San Merah? Ahh, so much to learn.
    Yes I do mean the black that circles their body...someone might want to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the san merah is distinguised by the black halo with irredescent blue on top.. like this picture of a very handsome beast I found on a german site...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails san_merah_645.jpg