Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lighting

Just an Egg

Lighting

Hi,

I have a question for any of the planted Discus tank members.

I'm looking at purchasing compact fluro lighting, but the bulb rating is 10,000k which is a midday light, compared to 5000k morning light.

Is this to bright for Discus, or should I try to find something with a lower K rating.

Regards

Rob.G

Medium Discus
    I'ld be looking for a globe around 5000k-6000k. From what I hear that's perfect for planted tropical tanks.
    The globes with a rating of 10000k or more are used for marine tanks because the coral requires that type of light.

Oscar

i find it hard to "over light" a planted tank with fluros

unless there overdriven they normally can only achive 2 wpg maximum

you will find the important factor is to give the right spectrum of light, not the wattage

you can place two identical tanks side by side, same amount of wpg but change the spectrum of light and one will grow and one will "survive"

ideal electrical is the best price but the guys in there (around me anyway) don't know and probally don't need to know what spectrum of light is produce and which lights produce it.

trial and error, sorry
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Just an Egg
    Thanks Oscar,

I've been hunting for 5000-6000k tubes, but I can't find anyone (LFS or online) that has anything less than 10000k tubes.

What is your lighting on your display tank?

Thanks Ryan

Lighting as is, equals about 1.3 watts per gallon, 55gal tank with 2 x 38w fluros, and thats not enough even with my low light plants.

Medium Discus
    Mine's nothing flash I've just got 2 NEC 38w 4ft standard fluro's from Bunnings. I think they're around 5000k-6000k.

Oscar

Blue Diamond Discus
    So for 4x2x2, which when full is close to 370 litres.

http://www.adelaideaquariums.com.au/...ing/fresh.html reckon you need 0.25 to 0.5 Watts of lighting are needed per litre of water.

Going for in the middle I would need, 120 watts.

I think I only have 2 x 40 watts, which means I need atleast 1 more 40 watt. This may explain my curling leaves and brown algae !?
    Dave

you should (if you can) aim for 2 watts per gallon, plants only start REALLY moving between 2-3 watts per gallon
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by kalebjarrod
    you should (if you can) aim for 2 watts per gallon, plants only start REALLY moving between 2-3 watts per gallon
    and for how long should the lights be left on.....too long and algea will have a pic-nic...too short and the plants will give up?????? what about CO injection in addition??
    Jim
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

Blue Diamond Discus
    Its nice having this in the discus section ... I think most people want to balance the bare bottom tank with serious plant growth ... best of both worlds ... plants are gorgeous.
    Dave

lighting should be left on for 10 -12 hours per day, the algee normally has a picnic because the tank is out of balance, its normally not the added light that causes algee its the fact the plants have used any and all available CO2 and hence can't photosythisis and grow

thier are some FANTASTIC electronic CO2 injectors on the market,

they are almost idiot proof, if you have a heavyly planted tank just hook the co2 and the lighting pugs together (with a double adaptor) and turn the unit on and off with your lights. Or in our cases for a discus tank, get a digital timer and run the unit for one hour a day about two hours after the lights have come on, your plant growth will be much better, algee will disperse because your plants are growing (useing all the nutrients and CO2 in the process).

the other way is the DIY CO2, trial this on a non discus tank first, learn how to use it then take the knowlege to your tanks. for a Bare Bottom tank that you just want your drift wood to grow on or the few planted pots go for the electronic CO2

George from G&S has one in his display tank, works great

much easier than hooking up a CO2 bottle, valves, ph sensors, bubble counters etc etc the only downside is the refills are $80, the carbon pad should last for a few months at least. great introduction to CO2

fert's rarely need to be added, your pooing discus machine should give enough nitrates and ammoina for plant growth, you should add trace elements such as iron (chelated forms) maybe once a week/fortnight

this won't give you massive amounts of growth, it will combate algee and give you resonable amounts of growth.

in proper plants aquariums with 3 watts per gallon lighting and co2 at 20 - 30ppm added nitrtaes and ammoina (never great with our discus) growth can literally be watched, plants need trimming in these tanks EVERY WEEK
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!