Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Breeding Seasons?

Hi fellas,

me again. Just wondering, what are the discus breeding seasons/cycles? The same pair that just lost their hatchlings last week have just laid another lot of eggs?

Is this normal behaviour, or am I just lucky? Will they keep laying eggs so regularly?

I haven't had a chance to isolate them into another tank. Should I remove the other fish, or will that scare the pair into eating the eggs?

Thanks.

Chris.

Medium Discus
    once they breed ...they will keep breeding every week or so ...

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    once they breed ...they will keep breeding every week or so ...
    Kewl! How long will this keep going for? Should I get them a dedicated tank and just let them keep pumping out the fry?

Just an Egg
    Yeah, I agree with week to 10 days after they have eaten fry/eggs (if your pair are like mine!). I have noticed that if they do not 'come in' to spawn within this time assuming there are frequent w/c etc., if I take out the spawning pipe (I use a PVC pipe) fpr a couple of days - give it a good wash and return it to the tank then the fish spawn either later that day or the next day. Good luck with your pair.

Medium Discus
    Sean.......do you have more luck with a PVC pipe or terra cotta pots??? PVC is cheaper and looks better too i think.

Jim.
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

Just an Egg
    Hi Jim

I did a little expt - wouldn't stand up to too much scrutiny though- where I put an upturned terracotta plant pot and a PVC pipe in the same aquarium and the pair chose the PVC pipe - trick is to use something as a top - I used a screw cap from a 20lt drum. Otherwise the fry at wriggler stage fall into the pipe. Also I think that not leaving the pipe in all the time is a good idea - especially for irregular spawners. My fish prefered the heater cover to a pot one time, which got me thinking about the PVC pipe.
    All the best
    Sean

Just an Egg
    They did it again... they dropped eggs in the community tank for the third time this month.

I feel so bad for not getting them their own space... i've just been so busy...

Do you think partitioning a 4foot tank will work? Or will it stress the pair too much?

Thanks for your advice.

Just an Egg
    Partitioning is worth a try - it is exciting when you get your first batch of fry (even if they end up dinner for the parents)

Medium Discus
    Sean......these PVC tubes what size in diam. do you think is best.... and how do you keep them in place in your tank, after-all they need to be able to be removed easily for cleaning????
    regards.....Jim
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

Just an Egg
    Hi Jim
    I use a PVC pipe approx 5 cm in diameter. There would be many ways of getting the pipe to stand up securely in the tank, I use an upturned very small terracotta flower pot as a base and a drum lid as a top - looks pretty ugly but does the trick - there are caps you can get from Bunnings which would look better