Larvae

DIY External Filter

I was wondering if this was possible and any problems that could occur except bad building. I was thinking that an external filter were possible to build with a fully enclosed bucket and pond pump. I was wondering how the suction from the top of the tank could be provided so that the same amount of water was being exchanged.

If any body how was keeping touch with the semi-automatic water changer topic I did that, all finished photos when I have finished the tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails externalfilter.jpg  

the simple syphon effect would work to draw the same levels of water out of the tank as you would be pumping back in

it would work under a closed air tight system only

problem is the bacteria need air to to fuction properly, this system would starve them of this air. It would still work just not as well as a trickle

also if you get an air leak and the pmp starts pumping quicker than the water is geting in you will burn out your pump
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Blue Diamond Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by kalebjarrod
    the simple syphon effect would work to draw the same levels of water out of the tank as you would be pumping back in

it would work under a closed air tight system only

problem is the bacteria need air to to fuction properly, this system would starve them of this air. It would still work just not as well as a trickle

also if you get an air leak and the pmp starts pumping quicker than the water is geting in you will burn out your pump
    to solve this problem is to add extra length of hose from the outlet of the pump to the tank and this will slow the pump

perhaps you need to do a flow rate from the syphon you are planning to use

this will give you the indication of what size pump is viable.
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I'm desperately looking for a good way to make a home made DIY filter. The plan in the picture sounds great, is it possible to avoide it's disadvantages by doing this:

Adding some airstones to the bio-balls part to provide oxygen and hence getting better filtration, and replacing the siphone action by a small pump to overcome the "air tight" thing?? It would be a Canister-trickle filter!
    Is it possible or is it stupid?!

In case it was possible, how strong would be the pump needed to accommodate a 325L tank??

Any thoughts are much appreciated
    Thanx

it should work somewhat similar to a canister filter, make sure the pipe going into the filter is much larger than the one coming out, you'd be better off just buying a canister, or making a top filter,

Blue Diamond Discus
    when I tryed to make my own it cost me around $40 in the end so for an extra 10 and postage you can get a cheap canster