Thread: How to set-up

Hi, I'm New Here!

How to set-up

Hi there, I am new to this forum. My dad and I want to raise a few discus. We think it would be fun. Well, I was just wondering how I can set-up a hexagonal tank(28 Gallons) for some Discus. ie... Types of plants (if needed) also;How many can I put in there?(28 Hex)
    Thanks

-alleni31991

If this is your first shot at discus your making it hard on yourself. Firstly you will need about 10gal per adult discus, which means 2 maybe 3 overstocked. Now if you want too start with juvi's which most do because of the price you could only really get away with 3 because of the shape of the tank.

I and many others would reccommend having young discus in groups of at least 5 but better 6+, this way agression will be spread over the group. If you were too go with 3 juvi's then one would become stunted and the other 2 would be fighting for dominance all the time.

When i first started i had a 3ft tank and although everyone told me it wasn't a good idea, i did it anyway. Of course one was a runt and the other 2 fought constantly. If i had my time again i would have listened and bought a bigger tank..

HTH

Scott

Scott AKA - Flukes

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks flukes. Do you think it is okay to put 2 discus in my fish tank??¿¿Will that be too little??If it is, are there any other fishes I can put with dicus?¿

-alleni31991

If you really want too use that tank i would be buying adults.. You can ggo with 2 juvi's but keeping them happy will be hard..

Scott AKA - Flukes