Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Medium Discus

iniridae - now have fry

Not 100% sure if they are F0, but still very young to sex or show any real potential. I've hosted them in the same tank with the macmasteri juvenile (hence there's a few got into the shot).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iniridae.jpg  

Larvae
    can you sex them yet thomas? I bought 3 yesterday and cannot sex them, figures cross i have at least 1 male/1 female and pref 2 females

Medium Discus
    It's barely sexable. But not 100% certain (especially the female).

Thomas.

Larvae
    Hey thomas ...

do you think the top fin will indicate the different sex ??? I have 2 of them too and one of them have higher dorsal fin and the other one have shorter dorsal fin ...

not too sure abt this tho ...

Medium Discus
    They are too small to be certain.

The high dorsal definitely indicate male, but most of them are smaller and it cannot be certain.

Given them 2-3 months of growth, then it can be certain.

Thomas.

Larvae
    hrmm i dont know about the dimorphism I have 3

1 does not go yellow in the belly at all and chases the two others, and the two others go slightly yellow in the belly

so im guessing at 1m 2f, or 2m 1f... we'll see in time

Medium Discus
    Take a look at this recent post with a mature male iniridae - apart from the fin extension, it can be difficult to tell between the gender (had the same problem last time when I had them back in late 90s). The only sure way is to wait for them to mature, then it's dead easy.

That's why I've taken more than what I need, hopefully there's a good mix of gender in my group (there's a definitely male in my group).

The species is quite agressive, they pick on each other regularly (regardless of their sizes) as well as picks on the macmasteri juveniles.

Medium Discus
    Quick update - a shot of the largest male (which I think I only managed to get two in my group).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iniridae_male.jpg  

Larvae
    you need a camera like awths thom! hehe

Medium Discus
    Finally they've grown and one pair was formed in the group and spawned as reported two/three weeks ago (in another thread).

However it didn't went well after I remove all other tank mates - female got a bit freaked and ate all the egg.

After leaving the pair along in their tank, the female recovered and spawned again late last week.

The wigglers hatched on Saturday, and these are taken today. Expecting free swimmers by Thursday - fingers crossed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iniridae_fry_3_days_old.jpg   iniridae_fry_3_days_old_a.jpg   iniridae_male_504.jpg