Medium Discus

How do you clean sponge filters?

Ok this might sound like a basic question but what's the best way to clean sponge filters. Do you just give them a very small rinse and remove surface gunk with your fingers or do you give them a real good rinse in aged water.
    I've been doing a small rinse and just removing all the surface crap from the sponge. I'm thinking if you give them a real good rinse you'll remove all the bacteria. Is this the case, have I been doing it the right way or not?

Thanks.. Oscar

give them a thorough rinse and clean in old tank water after a water change.

Medium Discus
    Thanks Proteus

I wasn't sure if giving them a thorough clean would affect the bacteria or not.
    From now on I'll clean then thoroughly.

Oscar

Its will kill most but you should really be relying on another filter too house your biological bactera. Although the sponge filter would add to the filtration, it wouldnt make a huge difference if cleaned.

Also i in some times float a second sponge and change them over to give them a clean..

But looks a bit ugly a sponge doing nothing in your tank..

Scott AKA - Flukes

Medium Discus
    Thanks Flukes

Up until today I've been running 2 sponge filters in both my breeding tanks. I removed one from each tank this morning as it was a real pain when cleaning the tanks. I have to move the sponges to get to the crap and that just stirs things up. I got myself some large KIS sponge filters about 3 weeks ago and they've been in the tank since then. As of this morning both my breeding tanks now only have one large KIS sponge filter. I am doing 40% water changes every 2 days so I'm hopeing the one filter in each tank will be sufficient. What do you think?

Oscar

2 sponge filters for each tank should do. When you do your phyon just run the hose over the sponge. I do this and makes cleaning the sponge a fortnightly routine.

When i do clean it its just a quick sqeeze in old tank water. Nothing too vigerous.

Scott AKA - Flukes

Medium Discus
    Rinse them in the old tank water you have just syponed out

i float a sponge in my sump of my trickle system just in case i need to get the QT tank going.

never know when a problem may arise and its out of sight!
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Tiny Fry
    float a sponge in my sump of my trickle system just in case i need to get the QT tank going.
    Very smart

why thank ya! 8)
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!