Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    San Merah Discus
    It's 3.20am Sunday morning and just been to check on them and have lost the first breeder dam it. By the look of some of them there are more to go yet. Bottom line is mate I think I caught it too late as far as your remedy is concerned. The Metro, Ph and salt worked fine on a mates fish a couple of years ago and we didn't lose one but I have never seen anything like this. It's very different to what we worked on back then. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.
    MAC

wtf ??? when did you get it ???? is it just a few or widespread ????

San Merah Discus
    It's 40 grands worth of fish Samir, the whole bloody lot. I knew I had it about 5 days ago but the last time I saw it a couple of years ago we fixed it within 7-8 days and I thought this one was going along fine too, that all changed 2 days ago and to be frank, I've never seen anything like this.

I hope none of you guys ever have to see tanks likes the ones below.
    MAC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails breeders2.jpg   breeders_146.jpg   juves_158.jpg  

it looks strange, something like chlorine poisoning would think they'd be all bunched up and your water would be a lot dirtier. cant see any white slime on the fish either

San Merah Discus
    There's not been anywhere near the slime compared to my mates episode 2 years ago but they have shown all the signs of the Plague. I might add that sabotage has been a topic of discussion but we really didn't want to believe it and still don't. We should find out one way or another as live fish have been sent to the Uni in Toowoomba and a lab in Brisbane.
    MAC
    Samir, those pics were taken straight after a W/C.

San Merah Discus
    Samir, LR, Andrew Soh, Andrew (Fishgeek), Mike (Noddy),

IF something has inadvertantly found its way in to my 3000 litre aging barrel (which is at the very front of the house) such as Round Up or other toxic chemicals do any of you guys know what symptoms would show on the fish?

I have about 8 adults that are not showing too many signs of anything and one Solid Red was getting ready to spawn on a sponge yesterday after a W/C and the addition of Tetracycline, unbelievable! That in itself seems to me to point away from something in the water or surely all of them would be suffering? The fin rot on the juveniles is horrendous with some of them now on the bottom without tails at all, they've completely rotted away. The fish that are still swimming and not on the bottom are flicking against air tubes etc so all in all it does point to the Plague IMO but Samir pointed out the lack of slime so I thought I'd ask. They have lost slime but not in sheets like I have seen it.

Any input gratefully received at this point as all I can see right now is 5 years hard work going straight down the gurgler.
    MAC

mac sorry to hear that it has taken hold, the symptoms you have arent the same as my fish showed . my fish bunched at the top of the tank with heavy breathing. and sheets of slim comeing of them.they all recovered but it was very conserning watching you r fish.turn black and become ill.the thing with this prob is that there is only so much you can do the rest is up to the fish to pull though the low ph,the salt,the high temps , and any med you put in wether its tetracycal or metro and that is all that we can do. good water as well, all in all i am sorry that you have it and wish you well mate hope it works out scott

MAC I was shocked when I read your post.

I'm so terribly sorry to hear that.

I've had plague - wiped out half my breeding fish - so I know what you're up against.

But, honestly, your fish don't look like they're suffering from plague at all. There are no great sheets of slime falling off the bodies, they're not hanging at the surface piping and they're not sitting by the outlet of the filter. Plague makes breating difficult, and I don't see that with your fish.

Another thing, plague will make the water stink. Are you noticing an odour from the tanks at all?

For them all to go down like that, it's got to be a water issue. Plague is airborn, but it usually hits one tank at a time.

I wish I could offer you some real help, but all I can do is offer my sympathy and hope that the test results will give you some clear answers.

We're all thinking of you MAC and keeping our fingers crossed.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

San Merah Discus
    Thanks for all the support. I've received a phone call from someone this morning (thank you, you know who you are) that really knows his stuff and he reckons it's not the Plague but Aeromonas. An airborne bacteria that looks very much like the Plague but the end result, in many cases, is much worse than the Plague apparently. It doesn't live down South, only tropical or sub tropical regions and especially in hot, dry weather. He's had it himself in the past and my situation looks very similar so if he's right and I save even half my breeders he can expect to get pi*s*d for free for as long as he likes!

The smell is disgusting, think of rotting flesh and you've got it.
    MAC

Medium Discus
    cant find anything about arimonas in google
    maybe any other names?
    very sad what happen to your fish
    and so quick,i hope you let us know what u do for medication and what happen to the rest of your fish.

michael