Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Turquoise Discus

pH with new fish

Hi guys,
    I'm panicking. I know it.

Just picked up new fish from the airport (yippee). Brought them home, but my pH was still at 7.2, and they were at 6.8. So I went and bought pH down, put too much in (yes, I know). Now my pH is 6.66 - is it safe to let them out of the bags? Should I use bicarb soda first? They've been in there an awful long time.

Help please?

Have you tried adding some of your tank water to the bag to equalize things.

The longer your fish stay in there, the higher the ammonia and the lower the pH.

Take the plunge and put them in the tank now.

Don't add any water from the bags, it will be full of ammonia. Just net the fish out.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Turquoise Discus
    Yep, did that & they're all looking good. And the water has now equalised at 6.85. It was 6.7 before they went in, and the CO2 computer thing seems to be holding it at 6.8 to 6.85.

Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated as always!

Oh, did I mention they're not just looking good, they're stunning! Yay! I have the best fish ever! And that's not entirely my bias saying that! Thankyou Xtreme!

The discus are hiding down the bottom, one was initially on its side, but is up now - nothing I haven't read about - and it & the albino have just eaten.

Thanks again!

DE i am so glad they are there and now you see the fish are great not just taking our word for it . hope it all goes well good luck keep us posted , so happy for you oh stop the happy dance before you try to type haha

Turquoise Discus
    No happy dance now. Too hard with my face stuck against the glass.

Did you see that albino? I mean, the others are lovely, better than I've seen (no offence to everyone who's fish I've seen - oops - is it poor form to rave about your own fish? They're mine! I've got fish!) - but the albino! I saw 2 in an Adelaide shop - both not great shape & very small, big eyes. If I keep on like this I'm going to have to do photos.... better go now....

yeah sew the albino i got the other one that looked like it they are awesome hey

you are going have to get some pics up sooner or later of the tank and the new babys

Turquoise Discus
    Yup.

And well done you!

Medium Discus
    glad to here you finally got your fish. What strains did you end up getting and how are they going now???

Turquoise Discus
    OK, an excuse - I have (ooh, that sounds good) a RGD, an albino turq, a first of the universe (and the pictures really didn't do it justice, the shape is great!) and a giant anakonda.

Oh, and emperor tetras, cardinals, blue rams, gold rams, bolivian rams, peppermint bristlenose, and a pair of royal whiptails that are bigger and fatter than I thought these things could ever get!

You did ask...