Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tiny Fry

White spots - do I need to be concerned?

Hi,

Please excuse my paranoia but I don't want to leave this and find out it is what I fear it could be.

After doing a water change and feeding my new Discus tonight, I noted that one of the new Red Spotted Greens has a few white spots on it. 2 are on the fin and one more is on the body.

I've tried to get photos but they are not great. Please see the below and advise if this is something to be worried about and if it is, how I should be treating it.

Thanks in advance and I apologise now if I turn out to be worried about nothing.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spots_579.jpg   spots2.jpg  

Tiny Fry

hey

Hey have no idea what they could be but some mine had that same sorta thing on some of their fins and went away a few days later

Jono

Tiny Fry

Re: hey

Quote Originally Posted by iro11a
    Hey have no idea what they could be but some mine had that same sorta thing on some of their fins and went away a few days later

Jono
    I kind of hoping it is nothing, perhaps a calcium build up in the fins but when there is a spot on the body I just can't be sure.

Have seen this sort of thing in the LFS and left the shop straight away assuming it is a disease of sorts.

Chris

Tiny Fry

hey

Well my fish got white spot and i treated them and a week after they healed one had those white spots so i thought it might just be scar tissue or something healing itself so i did't worry and it turned out alright i would keep a eye on it in the next 24hours gets any worse try using tri-sulfa or ickaway if you got a hospital tank.

Tiny Fry
    Since posting I've had a good look at the tank and this is the only fish I can see that has these spots.

Larvae
    Hi Chris.
    You should get that surface skimmer soon.
    As for those white spots, unless there are other signs - like raised edges or spreading or other fish gettingthem, they look like signs of trauma to me.
    If my fish have been fighting or dashing about they can lift a scale or get a bit of a scrape - usually clears up within a few days.

Tiny Fry
    Bill, just sent a PM - the skimmer arrived today.

Thanks to all for the comments and advice. Looks like it may be nothing as the marks are not present on any other fish that I can see and they appear to be going for the fish pictured.

Fingers crossed this comes to nothing now - sigh of relief :P

Tiny Fry
    Well, looking at the fish this weekend, this fish is showing more of these white spots on the pectoral fins and a little on the tail. Some of the other fish are also showing one or two on their pectoral fins and I think one may have a white spot near the mouth.

There has been a bit of biff and bang in the tank during the week but nothing severe/significant.

I've done a couple of small water changes through the week and did a 40% change yesterday.

Any ideas?

Larvae
    Well, if it's starting to spread, I'd be inclined to get a diagnosis and start appropriate treatment asap.
    What's your LFS like with this sort of thing? Or perhaps a fish competent vet - must be one somewhere around Sydney?

Take one of the fish for inspection/consultation?

Larvae
    By the way, Chris, do you have a UV sterilizer on your tank?
    If not, I would get one as they do keep bacteria and other nasties to a minimum, so if your fish do get a scrape, they are at less risk of developing a topic infection.