PDA

View Full Version : my first ever plants

ren
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hey guys and girls

I was at the shop yesterday and as usual came home having spent another $100 :((

part of my purchase were some plants for the tank !!

i got a double anubias thing on a log and some wyslexia?? not sure how its spelt (or pronounced)

just wanted to ask what would be your best tips for keeping them both alive ??

im told the anubias is very hardy and will survive under my 30watt / 10,000K single light tube and the wyslexia apparently will grow well as well... im hoping the shop guy wasnt just trying to make a sale... cos i explained to him numerous times i only have a 30watt light.. i even asked if i should get fertilisers and he said theres no need they will thrive in my tank...

so is this true? or was it too good to be true?? :(

how much time should my light be on every day?

do i need fertilisers?

i dont want to go out and spend hundreds or thousands on lights/Co2 etc but the guy said i wouldnt need to do anything ..

anyway here is a little pic of them

fish_r
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 10:59 PM
its hard to say without knowing ur tank size, u usaually match ur lighting to ur tank size, i would say one more tube @ least wouldn't hurt cause having one tube in say a 3 footer will give u very low light, probablly ok for the anubias but not for the wisteria. the plants will probably grow ok but wont flourish without higher lighting.
also depends on how many fish u have in there if to add ferts of not. it wouldnt hurt at all to get a bottle flourish
http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=994
ur light should be on for about 10-12hrs a day
HTH
Rob...

ren
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 11:17 PM
thanks for the reply rob that was quick :)

yeah its a 3x18x20

ok ill head out and buy some flourish TA!

ah yes wisteria not wyslexia lol - i knew it was something wi...

AQUAMX
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 11:36 PM
Hi Ren

Hope im not butting in.

Before you rush out and waste your money i can offer an alternative. Growing plants is not about how much light you have it is about the type of lighting and the color spectrum/rating etc.

More light equals more growth is a wives tale. Many of the most unique and rare plants here in victoria are grown by a hobbyist using no more than 2 fluros(t8) on each tank. Many of his tanks infact use diy co2 and standard lighting. It may suprise you to know even his beautiful toninas and delicates are all grown in these conditions.

My advise, especially for the plants you have which are low light would be to replace your tube. Wisteria especially can be grown in a barrel out the back if you want with little even no care.

10000k tubes are suited more for small marine setups etc. Or for corals with low light requirements. 10000k tubes promote algae growth as this is what they are designed for. You will grow the plants you have but in less than optimum conditions.

I would suggest you get yourself a phillips aqua sky tube or equvalent, maybe an arcadia,sera etc. Just something with a rating of around 5500k-7500k. A good lfs will have a braod selection for you to choose from.

With the plants you have now more lighting is simply not required you will find it cheaper and easier to work with what you have.

Hope that helps

sonflowerjoela
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 01:56 AM
Well it helped me! Thanks! :D I've been trying to make myself buy those more expensive light. Folks at LFS said it would make a big difference in plants. Good info to know.

AQUAMX
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 06:29 AM
Hi

I would evaluate my own situation and determine what it is that i want from my aquarium. Big growth in big tanks that are 2ft in height and over usualy do require halides depending of course on the effect one wants.

I have large tanks with several halide units and those without. Both have pro's and cons of course.

Growing low light plants and keeping fish calm definately requires a light that will suffice both. But everyone has a different outlook and different goal. I just want people to know their options.

Cheers