PDA

View Full Version : Artificially rearing fry

elvip
Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:48 PM
Hi all,
Just wanted to get your thoughts on whether any of you think that it might be possible to artificially rear fry using the product Liqui-Fry instead of the egg yolks??
I am just looking for other possible alternatives if they are avail?!
Cheers
Elvip :D

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:42 AM
There is an article here in the stickies about artificially rearing fry. I think liquifry is okay as a supplement to fry feeding on their parents' slime, but not alone.

I still think egg yolk would be a better way to go.

samir
Fri Dec 01, 2006, 05:55 AM
Elvira if you send me your email, I can send you a pdf file on raising them with freshwater rotifers . Its by far the best way.

mtchye
Fri Dec 01, 2006, 06:48 AM
Wouldn't mind having a read of the rotifer method, why not post it up here on the site? ;)

I have tried the egg yolk method and it does work, but of course like most other artificial raising methods it takes a lot of time in terms of keeping the water quality good while getting enough food to the fry...

samir
Fri Dec 01, 2006, 07:01 AM
there'll be some copyright issues if I do. This link is also quite useful
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/rotifers.php

elvip
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:13 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for the updates.
Have sent you pm Samir.
Cheers
Elvip :D

elvip
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 03:58 AM
Hi again,
Following on from this topic with a slight deviation:
Just wondering if in artificially raising fry -does this in anyway affect the psychological/emotional status of the adult fish (I know they are not humans, but just wondering if the same princuples may apply) ??:wink:
That is, does artificial rearing in any way affect the parent-baby bonding ability of these fish later on in life (seeing that they themselves did not experience it), or is it an exclusive instinctive and not learnt ability??
Just curious :shock:
I'd be interested in seeing if anyone has any thoughts on this.
Cheers
Elvip

Rgoganj
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 04:15 AM
Hello Elvip,

Interesting thought, I do recall reading something about this a while ago, but it was done with Angles not Discus, where they found that the wild caught where better parents than artificially raised Angles.

samir
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 04:31 AM
I think thats more because in the wild only the good parents would be able to raise fry, these fry would inherit those strong parental instincts from their parents. in tanks fry from fish that are awful parents are allowed to survive thus spreading the gene pool. If your discus pair are rotten parents chances are the fry will be the same.

elvip
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 04:47 AM
Hi Samir,
Your point still brings about the question - is it an inherited or learnt ability, or both :?:
If it is an inherited ability - then fair enough, bad parents will give rise to genetically bad future parents. However, if it is a learnt instinct (even in part) - then would placing the fry (from bad parents) with good surrogate parents to raise them naturally bring about good or bad future parents :?:
Interesting!!
Elvip

mistakes r crucial
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 08:30 AM
I hope both of you have several years that are prepared to be dedicated to the cause, you're going to need them.
MAC

samir
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 08:33 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: