PDA

View Full Version : may i have some idea?

piranha-discus
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 01:04 PM
hello there forum members,
i come up with a question, its

what is the BEST, EASIEST, CHEAPEST and CLEANEST
way to feed new hatch brime shrimps,
and where may can i get it from,

cheers ben

Hearthemchainsdiscus
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 05:15 PM
Hello Ben,

I get my fresh live brine shrimp from my local fish store. They always seem to have them in stock. All I do is pour some into my tank. The fish eat them before they have time to sink to the bottom.

I have seen kits on line and in fish store catalogs to breed your own live brine shrimp. I haven't done it yet, but have heard it is cheap and easy.

If your question was, how do you feed already hatched brine shrimp, i.e. brine shrimp food, I have no idea?

samir
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 05:58 PM
there's a post on brine shrimp somewhere in here, i suggest giving that a read.

piranha-discus
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 01:15 PM
hi samir
i know there is another topic in the forum about brime shrips,
its about how to hatch and grow it etc, but what im asking for is
if any body know whats the best, easiest to get and cheapest and
cleanest food to feed brime shrimps, i know can feed them spiralina
in the water but that food supply is not cheap to buy, i want to know if there is something cheaper that somebody may know and let me know what it is,
cheers ben

scott bowler
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 01:48 PM
piranha-discus here is some think i read about making food for brine shrimp and growing them it may help
The Growing On Food:
You will need one hard boiled egg, and one tablespoon of Bemax, or similar non-flavoured health food. Use only the yolk of the egg, and along with the "Bemax" mix into a smooth paste. A few squirts of Liquifry into the paste would not go amiss at this time along with a pinch or two of flaky fish food. Please note: There are other foods in various articles on Brine Shrimp, but this worked for me with excellent results. Form into a small thin biscuit shape and place on a baking tray and pop in the oven under a low heat. You are trying to create a small biscuit of food. Don't burn it, just dry it out completely. Once dry and crisp, remove from the oven and cool. Now take a rolling pin and crush the thing to the finest dust you can, the finer the better. Store the result in an airtight jar. Possibly by now you can see the legs on the shrimps if you look close, or if you are like me with aging eyesight, use a hand lens. Cute little buggers

scott bowler
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 02:01 PM
here is more with some other things you can use for food good luck with it man Feeding: brine shrimp are not hard to feed. They accept most food they can filter out of the water as long as it's not too big and doesn't dissolve in water. There is brine shrimp food available in pet stores, containing micro-algae for the nauplii to eat. There are, however, quite a few cheaper alternatives that you can buy in your regular grocery store; for example yeast, wheat flour, soybean powder and egg yolk. It's hard to know how much to feed the nauplii, but the transparency of the water can be of help. During the first weeks you should be able to see about 15 cm into the water. When the nauplii grow, the food concentration should be kept a little lower, and a water transparency of 25 cm is recommended. Food levels should be kept constant, so frequent feedings are required.

kaiser72
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 12:53 PM
i purchased a product from my lfs. it is used to feed marine corals, brand is Aquasonic NAME: Reef Nature SEAFOOD INVERTEBRATE FOOD SUPPLEMENT REEF FOOD. great stuff no mucking about. only need around 5ml to 200 lt of water. i feed twice a day & have raised many batches on this stuff. costs around the $20.00 mark but goes along way.

Troy

kaiser72
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 12:57 PM
i purchased a product from my lfs. it is used to feed marine corals, brand is Aquasonic NAME: Reef Nature SEAFOOD INVERTEBRATE FOOD SUPPLEMENT REEF FOOD. great stuff no mucking about. only need around 5ml to 200 lt of water. i feed twice a day & have raised many batches on this stuff. costs around the $20.00 mark but goes along way.

Troy

Andrew Soh
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 02:52 AM
Hi Ben,

The cheapest feed to feed newly hatched artemia (nauplii) or even the adult artemia....because their mouth size stay constant.........is algae. To produce algae in water, you can ....

Use ammonia
- from plant fertilizer
- overnight urine...this has to allow itself to process into nitrate.

After a few days...when all the ammonia is converted to Nitrate, add a few drop of algae from stock culture and in a few days time, the whole container will turn to strong green ...ready to be fed to the artemia.

(Stock culture: is a clean holding glass or plastic bootle that you keep under the sun most of the time and where the algae may be constantly cultured in low concentration and is constantly fed with a bit of nitrate to keep the stock alive.)

Temperature in all culture cannot be above 35C...may just kill the culture. Best to have lighting ......whether from Sun or from normal light .....24 hours a day.

Andrew