PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Water ageing barrel - Sydney

k0b0i
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 05:43 AM
Hi,

I'm after some ageing barrels. 200L+. Something which is ready to use (don't want to spend weeks cleaning out the insides).

I did purchase 2 from a seller on ebay but found the insides (supposedly clean) still oily. I'm trying to figure out how to clean them but really not sure how best to do it :? and don't exactly have the time to constantly clean.

The way with bush fires and all are going i would feel bad about using water to continually clean the insides of the barrel.

If anybody has any spare or can point me in the right direction please let me know.

Cheers,
Kev

scott bowler
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 07:14 AM
hi kev have you tryed to clean them with salt and water i found that with the one i got had olives in oil in it and i cut the top out at the top lip with w jig saw and used salt water then left it in the sun for a few days .but if you need a new one the is a guy on schofields rd and smithfield at brewers there dont know what its called hope that helps

k0b0i
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 07:46 AM
hey scott,

I haven't tried using salt (or anything for that matter). Wouldn't happen to remember how much salt u put in for the barrel do you? lol

was it very effective? the barrels i got had olives in them too.. guess i'm just a bit edgy on cleaning cause i don't want to use anything that may harm the fish. salt seems a pretty good option.

couldn't really find anything on cleaning barrels online and had mixed responses from people about what to use.

Just on schofields rd? which side if i'm coming from old windsor rd? i'm at kellyville so not far off..

samir
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 07:49 AM
the olive barrels are fine, a lot of people use them.

tao
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 08:02 AM
plastic square case of fish market is the best. move easy and can stack

scott bowler
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 08:12 AM
hey k0b0i
just use pool salt i just got some from the super market and used hands ful at a time then hosed it all out the guy with drums is up just past hambledon rd not far from you he always has them out the front of his house coming from windor rd he on the left

mcloughlin2
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 09:08 AM
Just buy a large thingy of table salt, throw the whole thing in the tub and let in soak for a few hours.

Then allow the tub to dry for a few hours in the sun (The UV rays get rid of alot of the bad sh*t)

k0b0i
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:09 PM
thanks for the responses.

all very helpful!

fiftycal
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 03:04 AM
Sorry for bringing up this pretty old thread again.

I just got back from buying 2 drums from the guy on schofields rd.

The drums arent brand new, they used to have onions in acetic acid (vinegar) in them. They smell HORRIBLE!

My clothes are dirty as from carrying them.

A word of advice: if you buy from him, be sure to take the correct change ($20 per barrel, I had to turn around and make a stop at maccas for some change), and be sure to take a big car or trailer! I could barely fit 2 of them in my Prado! I had to jam 1 into the back luggage area, and the other had to sit in the middle seats!

fiftycal
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 04:30 AM
Oh man, I have those 2 barrels to clean with salt and water (just bought pool salt from coles), and I have another smaller barrel filled with driftwood.

Thats about 500L of water I cant use on the garden. What a waste. I feel so bad

samir
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 05:20 AM
I could barely fit 2 of them in my Prado! I had to jam 1 into the back luggage area, and the other had to sit in the middle seats!
i got 2 of them in my echo :lol:

fiftycal
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 05:39 AM
Wow how did you do that?!

The folded up rear seats made it really hard to fit one in the back, but there was plenty of room in the middle seats.

I used about 2kg of salt per barrel. I have PLENTY(about 10kg) of it left and I dont have a pool! Maybe I should dump some more in tomorrow

I figure each barrel is about 1 bath tub, so I wont bathe for a few days to make up for it.

discus lover01
Thu Feb 01, 2007, 10:08 PM
after some aging barrells in SA as well if anyone knows where to find clean ones

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 04:07 AM
Try the brew shops.