PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the AquaTronica Control & Monitoring System

ASA
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 02:44 AM
The Aquatronica AQUARIUM CONTROLLER SYSTEM is an easy to use electronic system, which is capable of managing all of the electric utilities, as well as monitor numerous parameters and chemical values of an aquarium; it can be used for either freshwater or salt water aquariums, or even for both at the same time.

The heart of the system is the “Control Unit”, this controls all of the interfaces which are used for reading the chemical values of an aquarium as well as all the other accessories connected to the system.

What makes the Aquarium Controller System so unique is its ability to be set up to meet any requirements the user may have. In fact, Aquatronica offers a complete range of products to create a comprehensive and versatile system; by starting with the basic components (Control Unit, Power Unit and temperature sensor) the user can expand the system with Aquatronica interfaces and accessories to meet their own particular needs.

http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/images/schema.jpg

http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/images/controller.jpg

The control unit is the heart of the “Aquarium Controller” system.

With this control unit the user can configure the settings of an aquarium and analyse data in a clear and intuitive way.

The screen makes programming and monitoring easy, and also makes it possible to set and display graphs.

The main feature of the control unit is its ability to be reprogrammed with a PC so that all of the functions currently available and those, which will be implemented in the future, can be updated.

With one single control unit the Aquarium Controller system currently features the following functions:

Management of one or more aquariums

It is possible to create a system consisting of one control unit and several Power Units (up to 10). This enables the user to manage several aquariums at the same time, even if they are very different from each other.

Manual control of the plugs (from 6 to 80 sockets)

The user can manually control each individual plug of the system. This makes it possible to do any kind of maintenance without having to physically disconnect the utilities.

Multi-timer function on each plug (from 35 to 350 programmes)

Through the Power Unit this function controls the automatic activation and deactivation of pumps, neon and incandescent lights, skimmers and any other equipment.

Wave Effect

This function alternately activates two or even three pumps in repeating cycles, and can also be programmed with an alternating pause if desired.

Tide effect

This function alternately activates two pumps with fixed cycles of 6.15 hours each (tide time).

Summer function

This function powers the heating cable underneath the gravel at intervals of 5 minutes/h during the periods in which it would normally not used (summer).

Power Cut Controls

This function records the duration of a power outage. If an outage lasts for more than an hour, the outputs selected during its programming will remain deactivated when the power returns.

Acoustic and visual alarms

It is possible to set one or more alarms to warn the user in the event of an anomaly.

Electronic agenda to organise routine or special maintenance.

This function allows the user to save reminders that can be repeated in cycles at any time; an acoustic and visual signal will be activated at the set time.

Reading and monitoring parameters:

Temperature (with supplied sensor) - Water Level -
pH - Redox – Fresh Water Conductivity and Marine Density.

This feature allows the user to measure and display (using the appropriate sensors and interfaces) the values of the Temperature, Water Level, pH, Redox, Freshwater Conductivity and Marine Density. Based on the values the user can modify the state of the plugs, by turning the connected utilities on or off.

Automatic acknowledgement of devices connected (Plug & Play)

This function automatically detects any original Aquatronica accessory connected to the system, and automatically enables the relevant menu.

PC connection

This function allows the user connect the system to a PC, which makes the setting programs faster and easier. With this interface the user can back-up the data recorded by the system for future analysis.

http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/images/pckit.jpg

Reprogrammable software

This makes it possible to continuously update the software of the control unit, a feature which places this product above all other in its category: using a PC connection the user can update the controller with functions which were unavailable at the time of purchase, without having to replace any components in the system.

INCLUDES: Temperature Sensor

Control unit:

Input voltage 12 V DC
Input current 150 mA
ACQ001 dimensions 125x65x26 (l x h x w)
Display dimensions 56 x 28 mm (l x h)

Note: The Control Unit is powered by the Power Unit - ACQ012

http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/images/power.jpg

Power unit with 6 sockets I/O standard Australia

Power unit with 6 sockets (Australia standard).
For piloting 220V devices in On/Off mode
Suitable for connecting pumps, filters, lights, skimmers, etc.
Mains voltage: 220V - 50Hz
Maximum output: 3,000W

http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/images/temp_display.jpg

http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/images/wave_effect.jpg

Now Available

A full hands on review will be conducted on this product over the coming days.

ellwa
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 04:55 AM
Looking forward to seeing it all setup on someones aquarium.

Something I might look into doing when I setup a bigger tank sometime next year.

save having three diffrent timers, and double adapters for CO2 etc.

elliot.

Proteus
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 05:00 AM
...well, I have the entire system and a bit more laid out across the floor...

First thing I can say is WOW!!! very impressive.

Packaged very well, all instructions are easy to read, and in all honesty it seems very easy to set up.

Proteus
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 05:31 AM
ok, I know people love pics...

Also, for the record, even though I do have a commercial interest in this product, all information will be provided as is, i.e. if I come across something confusing or difficult, you will know about it.

anyways, here goes...

Components:

Control Unit
Power Unit
pH Interface
pH Electrode
Temp & Water Level Interface
Temp & Water Level Sensor
PC Interface (& software)
Redox (ORP) Interface
Redox (ORP) Electrode
2 x Electrode Holder Units
Calibration Solution Packs pH 4, 7, 10

Dee
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 06:51 AM
:shock: I want I want ... I guess it's time to hit a few sev's ;)

Ro, is the software PC only or is there a Mac version too ? I assume it's only PC ? :? Looks to be an awsome setup and thanks for the pics :D

Cheers,

Dee :D

Proteus
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 10:39 AM
I have looked everywhere for a MAC software version and have had no luck so far... I will find out from the supplier or manufacturer.

Finally, a high end electrical product that is designed for us... (those with other German controllers or computers will know what I mean, considering most of them require an adaptor)

shake
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 10:50 AM
Roughly what would the kit cost complete that you have listed but with out the Redox (ORP) Interface & Redox (ORP) Electrode

btw looks pretty cool.

Dee
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Ro,

Thanks for the info regarding the Mac software, would be intrested in what you can find out. Like Shake, I would be interested in the cost of such a system minus the Redox components. Would make a verrrry cool setup.

Cheers,

Dee :D

ASA
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 11:02 AM
Roughly what would the kit cost complete that you have listed but with out the Redox (ORP) Interface & Redox (ORP) Electrode

btw looks pretty cool.

In response to this question, and the 2-3 others via email & PM, once we get concrete details of when the new stock will be arriving into the country (via air-frieght) we will be making a couple of forum member only special offers.

These initial package deals will be a once only event, and have very strict limits.

Based on a basic package system, you should expect to save at least $250-$300 (Control Unit, Power Unit & 1 Interface & Electrode).

For a complete, or near complete system, a saving of between $300 & $500 should be able to be offered.

ml29
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 12:43 AM
I was just wondering what "redox" measures or shall I say the purpose for aquariums. Does it have any relevance to planted tanks?

Thanks

Marvin

Proteus
Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:11 PM
I was just wondering what "redox" measures or shall I say the purpose for aquariums. Does it have any relevance to planted tanks?

Thanks

Marvin

I reckon after this you will wish you didnt ask that question... lol (only kidding).

The term redox comes from oxidation / reduction potential or ORP and is measured in units of volts, millivolts or Eh (1Eh = 1mV) in an aqueous environment.

The redox potential measures the tendency for a solution to either gain or lose electrons when it is subject to change by introduction of a new element. A solution with a higher redox potential will have a tendency to gain electrons from new element (i.e. oxidize them) and a solution with a lower redox potential will have a tendency to lose electrons to the new element (i.e. reduce them).

pH and Eh together with the activity of dissolved chemical species characterise chemical reactions in aqueous solutions. Like pH, Eh represents an intensity factor. It does not characterise the capacity of the system for oxidation or reduction, in much the same way that pH does not characterise the buffering capacity.

Although measurement of the redox potential in aqueous samples is relatively straightforward, many factors limit its interpretation, such as irreversible reactions, slow electrode kinetics, non-equilibrium, presence of multiple redox couples, electrode poisoning, small exchange currents and inert redox couples. Consequently, practical measurements seldom correlate with calculated values. Nevertheless, redox measurement has proven useful as an analytical tool in monitoring changes in a system rather than determining their absolute value (e.g. process control and titrations).

Regarding the importance of ORP in planted tanks - Link - TheKrib.com (http://www.thekrib.com/Chemistry/redox.html)

Another Redox link (http://redox-potential.blogspot.com)

"The redox potential of an aquarium is a measure of the aquarium water's ability to cleanse itself."

By measuring the redox potential of the water in an aquarium, we can tell how clean the water is.

A Redox Potential in the 200-400 mV range in human studies has been shown to have the same affect as anti-oxidant preparations such Vitamin C (and many others). This shows that the health of aquarium fish can be maintained by a UV Sterilizer not just by the killing of potential disease pathogens, but by the maintenance of a proper Redox Potential.

LINK TO ARTICAL (http://www.articlesbase.com/pets-articles/the-redox-potential-in-aquariums-and-how-it-promotes-a-healthy-aquarium-environment-65681.html)

For the record, my biggest 2 fish tanks already have Aqua Medic ORP controller/monitors hooked up to them and I try and keep the level to approx 270-300mV

Proteus
Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:18 PM
Back to the topic at hand...

After a busy few days, I have started to program the unit.

The one thing I really do like, is the alarm function.

I have tested the unit at various minimum and maximum levels and the audible and visual alarm are effective, and not in your face... (a series of beeps every 30-60 seconds, similar to a standard sms tone on your mobile phone). Through the settings you can determine if you want the audible alarm or not, and how long it is activated for....

ml29
Thu Nov 30, 2006, 03:48 AM
Thanks Ro

Heaps of info, I'll have to read the links. Keep up the good work. At this stage I'm thinking of implementing the system for my new tank.

ASA
Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:21 AM
Excellent news...

It looks like the GSM (SMS) Module will be available early next year, making this an extremely versatile tool for monitoring your aquarium system.

Thanks to the GSM module and a remote connection, it is possible to dialogue via a mobile phone.

There must be a SIM card from any mobile phone company (not supplied) inside the GSM module. This makes it possible to receive considerable information about the condition of your aquarium, such as:

* triggered system alarms
* black-out warnings and a subsequent signal when the power is turned back on (thanks to the internal battery)
* you can ask the control unit for the list of water chemical values
* send and receive sms messages just like any normal mobile phone

The firmware inside the GSM module can be continually updated on-line.

TECHNICAL DATA

Power supply voltage: 220V 50Hz
SIM connector: inside the module
Antenna: supplied
Battery: 4 - AA format - non rechargeable

We hae also asked the supplier if they can also bring in the Ethernet Module.

Thanks to the Ethernet module and a remote connection, it is possible to dialogue via internet or LAN networks.
This allows the user to check the Aquarium Controller in two distinct ways:

* by connecting from any internet point, via a browser;
* by connecting to a LAN network.

In both cases, it is possible to monitor the aquarium data and carry out a number of the most important settings.

It is also possible to enable email alarm management (you receive a message at the desired email address if a malfunction occurs).

Tunnel Rat
Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:21 PM
WOW great new product love it :thumb
My want list just gets bigger & bigger :roll:
Keep the good work up.This is what will put ASA in front of all the other competitors hands on reviews of new products what more can one ask for :mrgreen:

cya
Rat

ASA
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 04:44 AM
It should also be noted that Aquatronica have also just released a triple dosing pump system which can be directly interfaced with the control unit so specific and exact dosage of various items can be done with precision, and on a regular basis.

Aquatronica dosing pumps guarantee the possibility of metering liquids in your aquarium.

The module consists in 3 peristaltic pumps which function independently and allow the following types of dosage:

* Single dosage: allows a pre-established quantity of the substance to be administered at a set time and on set days;
* Repeated dosage: allows a dosage to be repeated at regular intervals (hours - days);
* Weekly dosage: allows the desired dosage to be administered only on set days of the week;
* Diffused dosage: the desired substance is administered evenly over a set time lapse.

Aquatronica dosing pumps also administer substances on the basis of data provided by the electrodes connected to the system; this innovative function allows you to automatically correct the water biological balance.
There are also 3 optional connectors which in future will allow stirring systems to be connected to the module; this will allow the metering of semi liquid substances (which would tend to deposit).

Aside from selling this product, we are setting one up and will be using it in several different scenario's. From time to time we will set it up on a small tank and have it available to view at Xtreme Aquariums in Taren Point, as well as the ability to take it with us and be able to provide a full demo of how versatile this system is if required.

Another key element we will be offering, when there is an update either for the firmware or PC software, we will send it to you on CD at no charge at all.

Proteus
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:39 AM
okdoky...

The system is up and running with most alarm levels loaded.

For the moment it is on Graeme's tank as the sump filter is the easiest to access of the tanks I have running.

Anyways, here are some pics with brief explanations...

Proteus
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:44 AM
more images...

Proteus
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:48 AM
and there are more pics....

Proteus
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 11:15 AM
oh, and here is the power board with 4 sensors/probes attached

Proteus
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 12:39 PM
This is a screen shot of the control menu on my PC which also can control and monitor all levels and actions of the control system.

Graphs can also be generated for all levels and events as well.

Proteus
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:58 AM
After a few more adjustments I have the controller hooked up to my wirleless network at home using a spare hub unit that I had lying around (good enough until the Ethernet module is released). I can now view all levels and make speedy changes from a totally seperate location via a browser.

I am more than impressed with the new advanced features that were released on the latest firmware/software update just over a week ago.

Reminders (agenda) can be set, i.e. feeding time, dosage of various additives, water change due, etc etc

The in depth control of each element of the system is excellent, being able to set minimum, maximum alarms, view graphs by day, week or month.

The XY Programs are what really stands out, being able to have the controller react to various situations. i.e. if the temp goes above a certain level it can turn the lights off, turn off the heater (in case of heater locking on). When the dosage pump is released the controller can be set to does additives when say the pH gets to a certain value, or measured dose of liquid salt if salinity drops etc etc...

ml29
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:14 PM
Hi Ro

The system looks very impressive.

I was thinking of setting up a system which monitors temperature and ph in order to operates the Dupla Therm 1000 and Aquamedic CO2 magnetic valve pulse control for auto CO2.

I was hoping you may know the answer to the following situations as I haven't been able to get a response from ASA.

1. If I set the controller to provide power to the CO2 valve once a certain ph is reached would that then open the valve and supply CO2 into the tank like all the other ph controlled CO2 systems? Does the CO2 valve plug directly into the mains and stay off until power is supplied to the valve?

2. Does the Dupla Therm 1000 require their controllers to turn on and off their heating cables? Am I able to plug it directly into the Aquatronica power unit and have the controller provide power to the cables to turn it on and off to maintain the required temperature.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Marvin

Proteus
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:24 PM
Hi Ro

The system looks very impressive.

I was thinking of setting up a system which monitors temperature and ph in order to operates the Dupla Therm 1000 and Aquamedic CO2 magnetic valve pulse control for auto CO2.

I was hoping you may know the answer to the following situations as I haven't been able to get a response from ASA.

1. If I set the controller to provide power to the CO2 valve once a certain ph is reached would that then open the valve and supply CO2 into the tank like all the other ph controlled CO2 systems? Does the CO2 valve plug directly into the mains and stay off until power is supplied to the valve?

2. Does the Dupla Therm 1000 require their controllers to turn on and off their heating cables? Am I able to plug it directly into the Aquatronica power unit and have the controller provide power to the cables to turn it on and off to maintain the required temperature.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Marvin

My apologies for not replying to the msg you sent ASA via PM last week, for some reason I thought I did, but then again, I have recieved msgs from close to 15 people regarding this system and what it can and cant do.

In regards to the 1st question, Yes, you would have the solenoid plugged into the power board (otherwise the controller cannot manage it).

For the second question, if the Therm 1000 can plug into the power board, thn it can be controlled 100% by the control unit.

HTH and sorry for not answering those questions sooner

ml29
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I thought that it may have gotten lost with the amount of pms that ASA would get. I'll have to put an order together soon.

Marvin

Proteus
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:35 PM
Before you do send an email to sales@aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au so a package price can be worked out if you are interested in several components.

Proteus
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:43 AM
This may give you a better idea just how versatile this system is...

ellwa
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:49 AM
wow.

looks amazing.

Maybe in the next year or so..

I think when I eventually move to my own place, my aquarium is going to take pride of place. I'll spend a while setting it up and getting it going, but then down to a little bit of maintenance and a prune each week will be enough.

:)

ASA
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 09:06 AM
Special packages are available upon application (just send us an email)

It will always be cheaper negotiating a package price on the entire system for those that are considering ordered one, also for say just monitoring pH, the packages will make it a lot more affordable than what they are listed at as standard.

Proteus
Tue Mar 27, 2007, 10:47 AM
Time for an update:

This unit and its capabilities are fantastic. On many occassions it has alerted me to potential issues that I may not have picked up on in time (i.e. temperature rises over summer, water level to low in the sump etc etc).

By monitoring the Redox potential and pH level I can gauge when a water change is needed and have set values into the system so once a crucial point is reached on both an alarm is activated stating a water change is due.

I know several others now have one of these systems as well... any feedback? Have you hooked it up to a PC and updated the software and firmware?

Overall so far 89/100 is my score (once some of the new modules are released down here that score will go up)

Proteus
Wed Jul 04, 2007, 11:12 AM
Should have an update with the new SMS module soon, plus a few custom add on's sourced directly from the manufacturer.

Have also had the conductivity probe and ethernet module connected for the past 3-4 months. (will send an email if level thesholds or alarms are activated).

Add to this the fact that I can monitor the aquarium, in combination with a Swann Network Camera nothing is out of site so long as computer access is available.

ASA
Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:31 AM
Having sold many of these systems and components we are eager to hear some feedback from a users perspective.

With new add-on modules due to be released or made available locally we are interested to gauge what items would be wanted by the end users and any other feedback which we can pass on to the supplier.

Thank you