PDA

View Full Version : Snails!!

elvip
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 09:29 PM
Hi all,
I have a large planted discus tank and loads of (conical shaped) snails :x
I physically remove any that I find and also have purchased 3 clown loaches to tackle the problem - but to no avail!! Currenlty there seems to be an abundance of snails - must be breeding season! The clown loaches don't seem to be doing their job - or so it seems. :shock:
Any ideas on any other means of killing of these snails - without harming my fish??
Cheers
Elvip

redmelon
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 10:56 PM
buy a pakistani loach, it your snails will be gone in few days... thats happen to me also and i buy a clown loach first but no effect, then i buy the 3 pakistani loach all gone including the small white worm

elvip
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:03 AM
Hi,
I already have 2-3 pakistan loaches in there as well!!
Maybe I am feeding them too much??!! :shock:
Thanks
Elvip

Merrilyn
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 03:58 AM
Don't feed the fish in the tank for a few days, and that should encourage them to feast on the snails.

Of course, if you have a huge number of snails, it's going to take them a long time to eat them all LOL.

ellwa
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 04:57 AM
my pahki loaches liked to snack on my plants.

never had a snail issue, but my large mystery snail has been laying eggs on the top glass recently....

nicholas76
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 06:05 AM
You can utilize a product called snail rid from Aquapharmacuticals. Most LFS stores have it.

its a copper based medication and it will kill every snail in your tank within minutes.

I know some people get iffy about meds but simply use half the dose rate suggested. I did this in my planted discus tank and no issues no deaths.

Treated the tank twice in total. Once to wipe out the snails and a couple of days after to wipe out the newly hatched snails.

Clown loaches dont always eat them and if you want fry ,, loaches do enjoy the cavier snack too