PDA

View Full Version : question about cycling ?

fish_r
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 11:58 AM
i currently have a 3 foot tank with 4 discus and a few other fish "tetra's etc"
it's been established for a few mths, just wondering if i add all of the water from the 3 foot to the 4 foot "with new substrate" and use the filter from the 3 foot as well as the new one will i have to cycle or will it be safe to do it this way ?

wind54
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 02:55 PM
Hey Rob, if you use the filter with the established bacteria then it shouldnt be a problem. Leave the established filter running with the new filter in tandem as long as possible. Just add half of the old water to the new tank and fill up with fresh dechlorinated water and the fish should be fine.

Robdog
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 02:20 AM
Your substrate also holds a fair amount of beneficial bacteria so a totally new substrate will put a strain on your filter bacteria until the substrate develops its own.
In that time you may experience some ammonia spikes but as long as your ph is fairly acidic it shouldn't become toxic. Having the already established filter will definitely help though.

Del
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 05:28 AM
A product called "stability" by Seachem might help as well... http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Stability.html

DEL

fish_r
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 11:16 AM
thx for the advise guys, going to do it now. forgot to mention i will be adding all the plants and driftwood etc from the 3 footer too so hopefully that will help too + got some locally made bio starter stuff today as well to give it an extra kick.