PDA

View Full Version : Large Jebo tanks - A warning

taksan
Fri Nov 24, 2006, 10:46 PM
I've just had the great flood caused by a Jebo 3126 4 footer cracking right down the side. The tank is only 14 months old and has had a catostrophic failure. This is the 2nd time I've heard of this paticular model Jebo failing. The "tall" Jebo 3126 4 foot and 3150 5 foot models are in my opinion unsafe and I strongly advise against anyone risking one of them.

mtchye
Fri Nov 24, 2006, 11:26 PM
That's concerning, lots and lots of these tanks have been sold... Do you think that it is these particular models that are faulty or all the "Chinese" sourced curved glass type tanks?

I ask because we were considering purchasing one ourselves...

Thanks for the warning!

taksan
Sat Nov 25, 2006, 01:14 AM
I think its the design engineering.... on those two models.
The workmanship isn't a issue as these were structural failures of design.
I've never seen a smaller Jebo or a flat faced large Jebo break.

Robdog
Sat Nov 25, 2006, 01:28 AM
:shock: As soon as I saw the title I was thinking "Not the ten footer, not the ten footer" :shock:
Bad luck mate. Did you lose any?

Merrilyn
Sat Nov 25, 2006, 02:51 AM
Luckily no fish lost, but a huge mess. :?

If it had happened in the middle of the night, all the water could have easily drained out before anyone realized, and that would have been an even bigger disaster.

The top supporting strut in the middle of the tank, that goes from the front to the back of the tank broke. It's plastic, and seems to become brittle from the heat of the lights allowing it to break. Definately a design fault.

I've had two other Jebo tanks break in the very same place, a three footer and a 5 footer .

It really is something to watch. If you have a Jebo of any size, and the plastic strut becomes brittle and breaks, notify your supplier and have repairs carried out immediately. The front glass can begin to bow out and break the seal at the back corners, causing leaks. This is even more critical if you have one of the "tall" tanks.

mtchye
Sat Nov 25, 2006, 03:45 AM
When you refer to tanks with flat face not experiencing this problem, do these include the ones that have essentially a flat front but curved corners?

scott bowler
Sat Nov 25, 2006, 04:49 AM
so good to hear there were no fish lost guys i once hag a join on a glass tank go it was a 6x2x2 and what a mess it started a s a small spray and got bigger as i was trying to get the fish and water out till it just let go .any hope you can find a way to work out with jubo so they can make theses tanks safer to own.

taksan
Sat Nov 25, 2006, 07:23 AM
When you refer to tanks with flat face not experiencing this problem, do these include the ones that have essentially a flat front but curved corners?

The Flat front curved corner tanks do not exhibit nearly the same tendancy to rely on the top brace for as much structural support as the tall bowfront tanks however as Ladyred has said when that top plastic brace goes even the flat faced tanks can leak from the rear corners but the bowfronts tend to have a catostropic failure like mine did where the glass actual cracked open top to bottom.
This is a design fault and funny enough seem to occur just after the 12 month warrenty expires.
I will be making representations to the Australian distributor Pet Pacific Pty Ltd on Monday morning in a effort to get a replacement tank.

mtchye
Sat Nov 25, 2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys I think I understand now about the brace and the structural issue you are mentioning. I believe that though it is out of the warranty period you may have scope through the Fair Trading Act if it can be proven that this has occured in the past and that it is a manufacturers fault. The supplied warranty does not void the manufacturer's statutory responsibility to provide a product that can reasonably be said to be made to the right standard. I'd contact the consumer rights organisation in your state for some advice if you do not get far... They were of great help to me here in WA.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/