PDA

View Full Version : What result do I get here?

mistakes r crucial
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 05:17 AM
I suppose if I knew what I'd bought in the first place I'd have a far better idea of what the result would be but can anyone tell me what I'm likely to get with these two. I have about 100+ wrigglers on a cone at the moment so any indication would be a great help.
Cheers
MAC

Merrilyn
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 05:22 AM
Well I imagine you'll get some really nicely shaped fish MAC. But as far as colour, mate I have no idea.

I'm trying to research some more information on how the RGDs are developed, and it seems the least likely way to get RGD is to breed two RGD together.

I gather they use intermediates to get the RGD and then only about 2 or 3 pieces in every batch are what we expect to see as RGD.

samir
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 05:50 AM
There was a topic on DPH about the lack of red melon males. Assuming that your solid females are red melon or the like, according to Andrew Soh, the male you have (i'm assuming its a pearl pigeon) was recommended as a substitute, so based entirely on the advice of others I'm assuming that you're on the right track, where getting some solid red fry is concerned.

I'm trying to research some more information on how the RGDs are developed, and it seems the least likely way to get RGD is to breed two RGD together.
I gather they use intermediates to get the RGD and then only about 2 or 3 pieces in every batch are what we expect to see as RGD.

Regarding the golden red diamonds, I was quoted $500 each for juveniles a while ago from a wholesaler in Singapore. Seeing them being sold for $550 a pair in a retail outlet down under was quite strange :shock: . I guess the 2-3 per batch explains the price. If thats the way they are bred seem like it'll be quite a while before some consistently breeds them down here.

samir
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 06:16 AM
i seem to have lost the plot there :banghead . after reading the question again i have absolutely no idea what the pairing would produce, however i would be very interested to know whether the fry in the top picture turned out solid red ?

G-1000
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 06:30 AM
MAC,

In this case, the golden gene will be recessive (golden is recessive to all except albino).

So you will get 10-15% which in some way resemble the golden leopard.

The rest will depend on the genetics of what you have there. If there is and pigeon blood in that fish - then expect heavily peppered fry.

If that fish is an intermediate, then you may end up with some brown based fish to varying degrees.

Breed them and find out mate - then you will know what youve got

G

mistakes r crucial
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 07:21 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I have 3 intermediate females so I might just pair one of the males off with one of them and see what happens.

Samir, the last batch from this male was with one of my Solid Red females and out of about 60 fry there are a handful with very slight pepper on the dorsal but apart from that they look very clean. Problem is I don't know where the pepper comes from, the male or female.

G, tut tut lol, you didn't read my post, I have bred them, they have about 100 or so wrigglers on a cone right now, I'm just impatient.
Cheers
MAC